Chapter 11

—————H—————

November 24, 1975

"What exactly do you and Sev learn from Professor Moody?" Lily asked over breakfast, and Hermione didn't know what to say. Lily never asked her, preferring to ask Severus, and he always answered in his Slytherin way.

"I shouldn't say," she managed, though she knew it wasn't going to satisfy her friend's curiosity.

"Does it have to do with Auror training? I mean, I know Sev doesn't want to do that, but—"

"Oh, Merlin, can you imagine Snivellus as an Auror?" Sirius blurted from where he sat on Remus' other side. The werewolf blushed, giving Hermione a sheepish and regretful smile.

"I can't imagine Snivellus contributing to society in any worthwhile manner," James replied, snorting unattractively. "It's more likely he'll be one of those Death Eaters until the good guys off him."

"That's a terrible thing to say, James," Remus admonished. "Severus is quite intelligent. I think he might actually do some impressive things."

James' gaze shifted briefly to Hermione, lingered a bit on Lily, then asked, "Like what?"

"I know for a fact that Severus' ambitions don't include the Death Eaters," Lily said haughtily.

"Right, because the Death Eaters don't hold day jobs or anything," Sirius countered. "Snivellus is Dark. He knows Dark Magic; he's in a Dark house. He's practically a Death Eater already."

"And you lot are made of pure light," Hermione snipped, pushing the remainder of her food around her plate.

"And mischief." Sirius smirked. "You can find out just how much, Kitten. All you have to do is dare to take a walk on the wild side."

"Padfoot," Remus grumbled, exasperated.

"Oh, lighten up, Moony," Sirius said, giving Remus a firm smack on the back. "Kitten knows we tease. Well, her anyway. I'm quite serious about Snivellus."

"And I'm quite done with this conversation," Hermione said, shifting off the bench and grabbing her bag.

"Me, too," Lily said, doing the same and giving Hermione a nod that she probably thought was some sign of solidarity for their friend. Hermione paused as Remus stood, shouldering his bag.

"Moony?" Sirius asked, a smile on his face, though it had lost its weight.

"I'm also done," Remus countered, "but do continue."

"It was just a bit of fun, Remus," Peter said, looking more hurt than James or Sirius.

"Is it?" Remus asked. "Because I'm not finding it terribly amusing." And then he nodded to the girls, gesturing for them to go ahead.

Lily and Hermione looked at one another, and then headed for the entrance. What in the blazes was happening? Severus had mentioned that Remus had come to his aid from time to time, even standing by him in a couple of small skirmishes in the corridors when she and Lily weren't around. She was certain, but ... she supposed she didn't know the entire story behind what happened to them, except Peter's eventual betrayal. She frowned, trying to remember what happened in her third year. Professor Snape and Professor Lupin were amicable. Harry was sure the former was trying to poison the latter at one point, but Lupin had found the idea amusing. And Professor Snape did substitute nearly every full moon.

But the Shrieking Shack memories were the most telling, even though they were the foggiest. Professor Snape was livid until the truth came out. And Remus had whispered something to him that she didn't think either Harry or Ron heard either. And whatever it was that Remus had said, it had eased the tension. From that point on, they'd worked well together until the moon came out.