kageyama; haikyuu!!

Angst/Fluff

"Oi, y/n. Wanna spike my tosses?" Kageyama shouted from across the court. You looked up from the clipboard you were examining and smiled widely.

"Okay!" You replied excitedly. You placed the clipboard on the bench and jogged over to where Kageyama was.

You were the co-coach of Karasuno men's volleyball team despite being a first year. Before high school started, you were a highly-skilled volleyball player that would travel to play with national youth volleyball teams. That was until you had an injury during the last year of junior high. You were playing with a team during nationals and one of your teammates wanted to steal the spike that was obviously tossed to you. She crashed into you and you hit the ground really hard, injuring your back.

Since it was the nationals, there was media everywhere. A video of the incident went viral and the story of your early retirement circled in magazines and the news. It's healed now but the doctors said that you wouldn't be able to play volleyball anymore because of the chronic pain. Before, you were able to stay on the court for every single game until the end. Now you could only receive a few tosses without your back beginning to ache.

When it was sure you weren't able to play volleyball anymore, your parents decided to move just you to Japan so they could find another volleyball "prodigy" to guide to fame. To them, you were their money maker. You pretended not to care about their decision to basically abandon you, but it really hurt.

Karasuno was the closest highschool to your house so that's where you decided to go. Everyone knew you and would try to talk to you and be friends. Of course, you were nice to them but they only wanted to talk to you because of your old fame. Nobody really cared for you. That's what you always thought at least.

As soon as you got the chance, you applied to be a part of the volleyball team. Not the girl's team though. You had enough of trying to be a part of girl's teams one after the other. Plus, you thought guys were way easier to get along with. There wasn't an available spot, but the main coach thought it'd be a good idea for you to coach alongside him because of your experience.

When you first showed up to practice, everyone had their jaws dropped and their faces flushed red. You felt kind of awkward but one person caught your eye. Kageyama Tobio. You made eye contact with him and he quickly turned around, sweating profusely at how cute you were. He was a nervous wreck. You thought he just didn't have any interest in you but he totally fell in love with you once he saw your face. You couldn't help but do the same.

Now, you and Kageyama were pretty close. Friends, sadly. He knew almost everything about you. You two grew close since after practice you would walk to Coach Ukai's store for snacks. Usually, it would end up being just the two of you walking home until parting ways.

"Let me know when you can't spike anymore, okay?" Kageyama said with his rare caring voice. You couldn't see his face since his back was towards you, hiding his slight blush.

"Okay. Hurry up!" You said with a grin.

"Oi! Don't rush me!" Kageyama yelled. You chuckled and got into position to run and spike.

After spiking about 6 or 7 times, your back started to hurt but you wanted to keep going.

"One more.." You said, going back into position. He looked at you, examining your figure to try and look for signs of stress or pain that might've been from your back. You were shaking, trying to stay composed. He sighed.