Oya Squad - Apocalypse (Angst) Part 2 (Final Part)

The next morning, the group hastily packed their supplies, each having a least one weapon on hand and headed out. Kuroo had a large yet easy to carry a metal rod, Tsukishima had a crowbar. Bokuto found a well-working chainsaw a couple of nights ago, however, he only used it when necessary and kept a shovel in his other hand. And Akaashi had a small handgun. 

The group didn't really know exactly where they were. Last month when they found Tsukishima, they knew they were in the mountains in Miagi. They continued to head south after that. The so-far zombie-less morning didn't last long as when they turned down an alleyway, a group of a dozen zombie lurked there. At the sight of fresh meat, they rushed towards the group. 

Kuroo, who was closest swung his weapon and took out a nearby zombie, it's head flying off and hitting the ally wall. 
"Wahoo!"
"Good job Kuroo!" Bokuto yelled, slicing off another zombie's head with his shovel.
Akaashi decided to save his bullets and pulled a small axe out of his bag and swings it at an incoming Z. Tsukishima killed two Z's with his crowbar and looked at the disgusting mess with a scrunched up face. 

Five down. 

Seven to go.

"Bokuto! Come over here and bring the chainsaw!" Bokuto rushed over to Kuroo with the chainsaw and cut off the heads of 3 Z's at once. 
Tsukishima noticed Akaashi struggling against 2 zombie's and helped him out, he noticed the older was in pain.
"Akaashi-san?! Are you okay?"
"I think the wound has opened wider. I'm fine though!" 
The two took out the two zombies and now there was only 2 left. 
"Bokuto-san! There's one behind you!" Akaashi yelled to the the other.

A zombie jumped onto Bokuto's back but Kuroo quickly pulled it off and killed it. Tsukishima took care of the last one.
"Ok, let's move on!" Kuroo yelled to the group and they headed off.

As they reached nightfall they came across a small warehouse and decided to settle there for the night. Akaashi wasn't feeling well and as soon as they walked in he fainted.
"Akaashi!" Bokuto caught the raven and gently laid him down.
Tsukishima noticed that blood had seeped through the bandages on his waist and put his hand on the other's forehead.
"He has a fever. The wound needs to be properly cleaned and wrapped up again. Then he should be fine." The blonde explained. 
Bokuto nodded but it was clear he was still very worried. Kuroo headed over to a small tap in the corner and filled up a flask to clean Akaashi's wound. When Tsukishima stood back up, he noticed blood stains on the back of Bokuto's shirt, around his neck, along with small rips in the fabric. 

"Bokuto-san, I'm just going to look at something on your back ok?"
"Yeah, ok."
The blonde hestitanly pulled the collar of the shirt down and gasped when he saw an evident bite mark near the bottom of the other's neck.
"W-what is it?" Bokuto asked anxiously.
Before he could answer, Kuroo returned and his eyes widened at the bite.
"Fuck! No! No! NO!" He screamed, dropping the flask of water.
"Kuroo? Tsukki? What is it?" Bokuto asked, his eyes wide as he turned around to face the two.
"Bokuto-san...there's...there's-"
"Bro...fuck...it's bad....this is bad."
A wave of relisation came over Bokuto, and then dread. 
"I was bitten, wasn't I?" He asked, yet he already knew the answer.
Kuroo couldn't even look at his best friend and Tsukishima nodded slowly before turning his head away. Even he felt bad. 

Bokuto turned back to Akaashi and gently stroked the raven hair out of his face. His lip trembled and his chest tightened. Tears began dripping down the side of his face. Despite his ever positive mood, he was terrified of death. And terrified of becoming one of those monsters. 

"No! You don't get to cry! We're the ones that are going to be in pain! What about Akaashi? He'll be heartbroken?! And what about me, Bokuto? What am I going to do?!" Kuroo yelled in anger, tears streaming down his face as he dropped to his knees. 

Bokuto didn't answer and instead reached for Akaashi's bag where he knew his gun was. He was feeling sick, and he knew that if they didn't kill him soon, he would turn into one of them
Kuroo realised his friends intention and started crying harder.
"No Bo! I can't do it!"
"Well I'm too scared to do it myself. I want one of you to kill me before I turn into a monster. And...before Akaashi wakes up." 
Tsukishima gulped, he knew how hard this had to be for Kuroo, having to do the same thing to Yamaguchi as well as Kuroo having to do this again after Kenma. 
"K-kuroo-san?...If...if you want. I'll...do it." He didn't want to. Despite not favouring Bokuto out of the group, it still hurt to see someone that had your back for the past month have to die. 

"Hurry up please. I can feel it coming." Bokuto slowly stood up and walked over to Kuroo before sliding down to his knees and holding the gun out in front of him.
"Come on Kuroo. Just do it quick." Kuroo looked at his friend with so much pain in his eyes. He stood up before Bokuto and looked down at him, more tears threatening to fall.
Tsukishima, a few metres away could even look at the situation.

"Bokuto...you will be the second friend of mine that I've lost. First...Kenma, and now you. I...I'm going to fucking miss you so much, you know that right? You know I don't want to do this to you, to Akaashi."
Bokuto gave a small smile, " I know. Tsukki, you better miss me too."
Tsukishima could feel a tears building up behind his eyes and sent a small nod to Bokuto's direction.
"I will, Bokuto-san."

Bokuto looked up at Kuroo who hesitantly took the gun into his hands and pointed it at his head.
"Don't fucking smile at me like that, Bo."
"Keep him safe for me ok...?" Kuroo immediately knew who he was talking about and turned away.
"I will."
Tsukishima covered his ears and closed his eyes.

A loud bang rang through the warehouse. 

Somehow....

Akaashi didn't wake up.

.

.

.

.

Akaashi woke up cold. His grey eyes fluttered open and tried to sit up when a large hand pushed him back down.
"I'm bandaging your wound Akaashi-san. Don't move please." His voice was strained, Kuroo no where in sight.
"Where's Kuroo-san? And Bokuto-san?"
Tsukishima stilled at the second person's name. 
"K-Kuroo-san had to go and do something." And by something he meant burying his best friends body in the small garden next to the warehouse. 
"And Bokuto-san?"
"He's gone." Kuroo's voice suddenly said as he trudged through the door, locking it behind him. 

A look of confused appeared on Akaashi's face.
"What do you mean? Did he go to get supplies or-"
"He's dead." The other raven said bluntly, refusing to meet Akaashi's eyes.
His eyes widened and his breath hitched.
"N-no. He-...really funny guys. Where is he?" Akaashi sat up quickly and tried to get up.
"Akaashi-san, he's telling the truth. Bokuto-san got bit during the attack. We didn't notice until we arrived here."

He felt his heart stop beating and his blood go cold.
"No! No! He can't be?! Why? Why wasn't I there for him?" His eyes kept snapping in between Tsukishima and Kuroo.
"Which one of you was it?"
A long silence filled the room.
"I was the one who shot him. He-...it was so fucking hard Akaashi. I couldn't even look at him."
Akaashi stood up suddenly and ran towards Kuroo, tears streaming down his face. He repitively hit the other raven in the chest, screaming out. Kuroo just stood there, expression blank.

"Why didn't you wake me up?! Why?! Why didn't you let me say goodbye?!" 
"He didn't want you to be awake." Tsukishima piped up. 
"He didn't want you to see him like that." Kuroo added.
Akaashi dropped to the floor and began crying harder.
"His last words were about you, you know. He told me to take care of you for him."

'He should have been able to take care of me himself.'