Elias 5.2

The creak of the door caught Elias's attention and the crown prince turned to see Claude.

Surprise decorated Elias's expression because of the look on Claude's face. His face was pale. Even though his face remained expressionless, his crystal eyes cried out his worries.

"Dad?"

Elias called out as he moved to get off the chair. Seeing what Elias was trying to do, Claude moved Elias so fast that the crown prince did not have a chance to feel the cold floor against his feet.

The emperor coaxed Elias back into bed and fixed the blanket.

"Dad, I am okay."

The prince tried to reassure Claude but it did not seem to convince the emperor as he turned his attention to Lucas, who was back on being a small innocent child.

"How is he?"

Claude asked as he wrapped an arm around Elias and brought the small child close.

Lucas had his head slightly bowed and his sleeves covering half of his face.

"The prince seems to have asthma, your majesty."

"Asthma?"

Claude frowned.

"But that cannot be. I have the servants clean the palace and guards will shoot down any animal of fur that gets close to this palace."

Lucas, still keeping his head tilted down, looked up with his sleeve hiding his mouth and tilted his head sideways.

"Is his majesty not aware?"

Claude frowned even more, obviously not liking not knowing something.

"Before I reached his highness, I saw a divine beast along with the princess. I can only speculate that the beast accidentally met with his highness and fur flew around him."

If Elias thought that he had witnessed Claude's eyes had turned then he must have seen it for a millisecond because the next moment, the emperor had his back on Elias and was leaving the room roaring out orders.

"Find that pest and bring it to me!"

All guards within hearing distance flinched and were about to scatter to search for the 'pest' but Lucas quickly added another word.

"Your majesty, I do not believe it would be wise to end its life."

Claude directed his piercing glare at the young looking Lucas who did not cower down. Instead, Lucas kept his innocent mask as he stood his ground.

"The divine beast was born from the magic the princess could not handle. If the beast dies then the magic will go back to the princess and the probability of her heart exploding is highly likely."

Claude snarled in response.

"Then what do you suggest I do? I cannot have that thing near Elias."

Lucas nodded in agreement.

"I suggest the beast to be put in far away from the prince's and princess's palace. The best place would be the tower of magicians. The magician would keep their eyes on the beast until the princess is ready to absorb her magical power."

Claude looked like he was about to disagree so Elias quickly spoke up.

"Dad, let's do as he says."

The emperor lifted a disbelieving brow. Offended that Elias received such a gaze, the crown prince reasoned with Claude.

"It's true I don't get along with her and that I don't like her but I don't like the thought of my sister dying."

The emperor stared at Elias for a few more moments before sighing and gave in.

"Take the thing away to the tower of magicians and don't let it out. You are dismissed."

"Of course, your majesty."

Lucas replied. He took one look at Elias who shyly smiled and waved his hand a little before turning his attention back to Claude. The raven magician bowed before leaving the room and Elias took the chance to hold onto his father's arm and tugged the emperor to lay on the bed with him.

"Dad, you look tired. Take a nap with me."

Claude let himself be pulled and laid on their bed. He was feeling tired, exhausted even. The thought that Elias could die was so loud on his mind and heart. He couldn't lose another one.

He lost Chrys. He couldn't lose Elias. He would not let go of Elias.

Claude stared tiredly at Elias who sat up and gave Claude peppered pecks on Claude's cheek. It was something the crown prince would do to help the emperor relax but Claude could not relax. The thought he almost lost this was drowning him.

If Elias had died, the peppered pecks, the kind and loving gaze and touches would disappear together.

"Dad, I am here."

Claude heard Elias say and the emperor shook himself out of thought and actually looked at the confident smile Elias beamed out.

How curious.

Elias never noticed how Claude was petty. He never sensed Claude's jealousy or any of Claude's 'imperfections' but right now, Elias, the one who had no sensitivity, had noticed Claude's fear and loneliness. He knew what to say to calm the storm inside him.

"I am not going anywhere. I love you, dad."

Tiredness laid heavily on his eyes and Claude slowly closed his eyes as he hugged Elias closer. Claude was able to fall into deep sleep.

***

Today, Elias was sitting inside the small space behind the throne in the audience room while Claude was having diplomatic discussions with the nobles. It was so that Elias would learn how Claude worked.

After the discussions, the emperor waited for all nobles to leave before moving to take a look at Elias. Opening the curtain, Elias was dead asleep and the emperor gently picked Elias up and woke him up.

Elias groggily opened his eyes. Claude always knew how to wake him up without angering him. Calling his name softly, picking him up and patting his back while kissing his temple.

The door clicked open and a bright voice ruined the gentle awakening.

"Daddy! I missed you!"

Elias frowned. Couldn't she knock before entering? How about lowering her voice? Why was she even here?

Claude noticed Elias's mood had soured through his still sleepy eyes.

"Elias, it's tea time."

Claude whispered against Elias's ears to help him be aware of his surroundings.

Elias's soured mood had softened after remembering that he was not in his room and that he was in the audience room. Athanasia would have tea time with them just before afternoon and called out with such brightness and energy.

It was something she always did so Elias calmed down but his mood was still vexed.

"Keep your voice down."

Elias murmured as he rubbed his eyes and took a look at Athanasia. Behind the princess, a familiar redhead knight was standing awkwardly and avoiding to look at Elias in the eyes.