Chapter 13

"So what have you been up to?" She asked leaning forward.

"Well I work at the Microsoft company and I live with my sister Xiling."

"Wow, I kinda saw that coming you were a tech geek" she laughed. "But that's a big company you should be a millionaire by now."

"I suppose but truth to be told the money is good but I'm not there yet." I shrugged.

"Hmm, okay I didn't know you lived with your sister."

"Yes, she's younger than me, I asked my parents to let her stay with me until she can live on her own." I smiled.

"You love her don't you?" She asked.

"Yes, I do, enough about me what's your story?" I asked since she's all about me.

"Well let's state the obvious I work at a café, I use to go to college but my mother got sick she's the owner by the way. So she got sick and I decided to sit a year out until she gets better but I have to work here to make sure everything is under control." She explained.

"Ohh ok but how is she now?" I tilted my head.

"Well she's not bad as before, I have a couple of months left so she'll get better before I leave." She sighed and played with her bracelet.

"Is that from her?" I asked.

"Yes she gave me before I went off to college, she would lecture me about how college was and how to cope with it." She laughed and shook her head.

"I can see you love her." I smiled.

"Yes," she cleared her throat. "So are you in a relationship, anybody decided to commit?" She smirked.

"Well, it was complicated before but now that's it clear it's a no." Then I saw her smiling like an idiot.

"So why don't you give us a try?" She said making circles on the table with her finger.

"I would say yes but that's not my priority right now. Relationships can stay for a later date." She then showed her discontentment with a frown.

"But I can't wait that long."

"I can," I said bluntly

"You have changed a lot Zhan, you wouldn't turn down a girl like me but now you're doing it without a blink. However I can't reprimand you, you were too nice back then at some point the world would change you." She chuckled bitterly.

"What can I say, I'm not going to be in high school forever everyone would have to adapt to their environment."

"Hmm... But didn't your first time meant something to you?" She asked pouting.

"Yes it did but the way we parted had a greater impact, it wasn't easy you know. There's nothing to be ashamed about but it's also nothing to reminisce on either." I stared out the window. "It's okay for you to think that we're adults now, so we should overlook the bad things back then because we were teenagers and we made mistakes. But I can't think about something good where something tragic didn't happen." I sighed looking back at her. Her whole mood change.

"I hate myself every day you know, you were a good guy but I was really young Zhan. I want to take it back every day." She said touching my hand.

I didn't respond because that's what people expect me to do, say I understand then move on. The old Zhan is long gone. I want nothing to do with what happened back then again. I forgive her but I won't get back with her because some people change but some don't.

"Zhan say something please." She pleaded.

"The rain has stopped I have to go it was nice catching up with you," I said before getting up.

"Wait!" She said and got up. "I won't give you my number because you won't call me so can I have yours please?" She begged. I felt a little bit bad for her so I gave her my number then left.

What a bad day I really wanted to just enjoy the rest of the day but everywhere I turn something is there to tarnish my day. I walked home it was about 1:30 when I reached home apart of me wanted to check on Xiling but I just left her be. I went to the kitchen because outside was cold I wanted something warm so I warmed some soup that was in the fridge and went to watch tv.

I heard footsteps coming downstairs and I looked and saw Xiling. I just looked back at the tv and kept watching the movie, then I heard her coming towards me and sat down beside me. She took the remote and turned off the tv then placed it on the table.

"Brother I want to apologize about this morning I wasn't having a good day." She said and I nodded still sipping the soup.

"I want to talk about what happened please hear me out." I placed the soup on the table and turned to her.

"Okay."

"The sleepover last night was not what I was anticipated. The three of us went to Sujin's place and everything was planned and okay.  I saw Sujin was moving a little suspicious so I asked her what's up but she kept on saying nothing and I was getting frustrated..." She then sighed.

"Later on two girls came to our sleepover which I didn't know about so I asked her why didn't she tell me about this and she said do I have to know about everything by that time they were all over her bed and Huan and I was on the floor." She cleared her throat.

"Go on."

"She then called us downstairs saying that we can't sleep in the room because it's already taken by the three of them and I was so baffled as to why she brought other girls over. We ended up in an argument she said unpleasant things and so did I, it wasn't pretty."

"What did you guys say because I wasn't dealt with right, I did nothing to both of you."

"I'm really sorry Zhan I didn't mean to take it out on you." She sighed. "She told me that I behaved as if I was all that and didn't care about anyone but myself. I really didn't know she felt that way she even told me she wished I was dead, life would be better off without me. Then I told her you never liked her you were just using her because she wouldn't stop annoying you." She said holding back her tears.

I hugged her and pat her back and hushed her telling her to calm down before going any further.

What a catastrophe.