forty one

A/N: yes, this is me actually giving you a double update lol

/THIRD PERSON POV/

The next days were easier, Chaerin woke up to loud voices from the kitchen and what she witnessed brought an instant smile to her face. Jennie and Ella were jamming to Taylor Swift's 22, Lisa was documenting them with her phone, a grin on her face. Jennie would pause and let Ella take over the show as she flipped the pancake, and then took out the waffles.

"My girls," Chaerin whispered to no one, leaning on the wall with a smile on her face.

Somewhere along the way, Ella's eyes met her mother's and she grinned wider. She dragged her mother to where Jennie was standing and the three of them laughed as Chaerin danced with them. They ended up eating breakfast with smiles on their faces, Jennie and Ella stealing glances at each other, and Lisa was there, witnessing the family get back together with a warm feeling in her heart.

She suddenly felt the warmth grew into something bigger — something protective, something caring, and she knew it was her Alpha's tendencies. Now that she's seen how happy Jennie was with her family, and how happy Chaerin and Ella were with Jennie, she vowed to herself that she would never let anything happen to them. She wouldn't let anyone touch them.

But then she reminded herself — this is Auckland. Not Busan. Not the Northern Embassy. No one would touch them. No one could. They're safe here.

Jennie was safe here.

Lisa must've paused and zoned out for a while, because then Jennie put her hand on top of hers with a questioning expression. You okay?  Lisa nodded and smiled, not wanting to worry Jennie.

"We have a dog back home," Jennie then spoke up and the way Ella's eyes lightened up made Lisa wanted to buy the youngest a dog, too.

"Really? What's the name?"

"Kuma," Jennie grinned, showing a picture of Kuma to Ella and Chaerin. "Lisa got him for me."

"He's so cute!" Ella squealed and Chaerin smirked at both Lisa and Jennie. Lisa playfully glared at the brunette who only blew a kiss at her.

"Why didn't you bring him here?" Ella asked.

Lisa shrugged, "It's a long flight, he might not feel comfortable,"

"Or you're just afraid I'll steal him from you," Ella raised her eyebrows and Lisa laughed.

The three Kims fell into another conversation about something Lisa couldn't really get yet, she wasn't listening. Her mind suddenly collapsed back to the night when Marco was seen alive.

/LISA/

He looked so alive, for the first time and also the last time. I could still remember the smile he had on his face when we talked about Jennie, I could still recall the butterflies in my stomach when he...

Well, not like it matters now.

Such an irony, I'm here to help Jennie get back on track with her family, but I couldn't even find out who murdered my own father. I had a feeling who did it, but jumping into conclusions weren't really my thing. I need to be sure so I could give him what he deserves.

"Excuse me for a minute," I said and stood up abruptly, earning confused looks from Jennie and Chaerin — Ella didn't really mind. "Sorry, it's work problems."

Chaerin then nodded, giving me a reassuring smile, while Jennie continued to eye me cautiously. I mouthed a 'don't worry' with a smile before I disappeared into the living room, heading outside. I pressed the phone to the side of my head and waited for him to pick up.