six: disagreements and relived friendships

"lee seokmin, i am not done yet don't you dare take one step on that staircase" jihan calmly said.

"i don't know how she manages to be so calm yet so horrifying"

"shut up, chan"

"noona" seokmin sighed. "i was just helping her"

"you didn't seem to care when the other students got beat. do you like her? do you like choi sara?" jihan bombarded. she was frustrated, seokmin had been ignoring all her questions.

"why are you so pressed about it?" seokmin asked. "i just helped out a friend, that's all"

"you've never talked to choi sara before. she's your senior and in my grade. you're not even friends with seungcheol nor hansol"

gathering all the courage he had, seokmin turned around. "yes, i like her. but so what?"

"you what?" jihoon finally stepped in. he usually lets jihan handle these situations but this time it's different.

"isn't that normal? to like someone?" seokmin asked.

"yes seokmin, but"

"but what, hyung? i'm not allowed to like her just because of her negative relationship with noona? is that it?"

jihan only stared at her younger brother. "chan go to your room" she said.

chan didn't hesitate to follow. he knew better than to provoke his sister. he quickly went to his room.

"that's not the point here, seok" jihoon said. "birds of a feather flock together, it's the system of our school"

"and i hate it"

"well, you can't do anything about it" jihan finally spoke. "it is what it is"

"so you support that system?"

"i never said i supported it. i just don't care"

"that's because we're privilege. we were born rich, we didn't have to go through anything like that. do you think it's fun for them?"

"and what can you do about it?" jihan asked. "nothing"

"please don't bring me into your rivalry with sara. i have nothing to do with it"

the main door opened, making them all look towards it. in came their mother, looking as stressed as ever.

"what's going on here?" their mother asked. "jihan, jihoon, don't tell me you fought again"

"there was just trouble in school" seokmin told.

their mother nodded and proceeded to walk past them. "jihan, whatever it is, handle it. i'm busy"

once their mother disappeared from their sight, jihan spoke. "see? she trusts me with the decisions. don't talk to sara from now on"

"who are you to decide for me?"

jihan and jihoon were taken aback from that statement. seokmin has never talked back to his sister. she was basically their second mother.

"i'm tired of living under your consent. i'm not owned by you, i have a life. i can do whatever i want without you being so pressed about it. can't you be nice to others?"

"seokmin, what the hell are you saying?" jihoon angrily asked.

"fine" jihan said. "like her all you want but i will assure you, she will not like you back"

"what makes you think that?"

jihan walked up the stairs, passing by seokmin.

"i'll make sure of it. i always protect what's mine"