fourteen: exposed

it wasn't a normal day of school for jihoon. his thoughts kept wandering to his sister in los angeles. he was worried- no, he was beyond worried. he didn't know why their father called her there and neither did she.

"worried about jihan?" wonwoo asked jihoon who was looking out of the window, deep in thought.

"why wouldn't i be?" jihoon asked. "you know our father"

out of all jihoon's friends he is with now, wonwoo has known him the longest. he knows the entire story of jihoon's, what one would call, messed up family.

although wonwoo isn't the nicest person on the planet, he's extremely trustworthy; especially to jihoon.

"your sister will be fine, your dad wouldn't dare harm his 'masterpiece'. cheer up" 

"i know he wouldn't" jihoon said. "but i'm sure he has something planned for her. something big and possibly something she doesn't even want"

the day passed by pretty quickly and before he knew it, it was five in the afternoon.  jihoon still had a music project to do with wonwoo so he needed to stay a little later than usual. 

"wonwoo" jihoon called as he continued to play different notes on the piano, looking for something that sounded right.

"what"

"you have no sad family history from what i know, no heartbreaks and no mental issues" jihoon enumerated. 

wonwoo confusedly looked at jihoon with a brow raised. "your point?"

"what fuels you to be such a dick?"

wonwoo laughed and continued his research. "i don't know either"

"you've never had a girlfriend, right?" 

"no, do you want to sign up?"

jihoon pushed himself away from the keyboard and jadedly stared at wonwoo. 

wonwoo's eyes widened, "woah will you really?"

"i thought you were very straight, i thought wrong"

wonwoo glared at jihoon. "i'm very straight"

"if you were straight then that wouldn't even cross your mind"

wonwoo scoffed, "says the one who said he'd date me if he were to choose among his friends"

"hey, i don't have many friends to begin with, and i was drunk" jihoon defended, sounding way too defensive with his arms crossed. "what time is it?"

"time for us to go home" wonwoo stated and pushed his laptop away. he stretched his arms upwards as if he was done with all his school work.

"say that again but make it sound like a suggestion and not a statement because we have not scratched the fucking surface of our piece" jihoon fumed. "i want a good grade in music class so i better make this fucking amazing!"

"you know we could've done something simple like lofi and still get a high grade, but you decided to pull a fucking beethoven in this project!" wonwoo stood up and exclaimed.

offended, jihoon stood up as well. it didn't even look serious at all considering their height difference. to wonwoo, jihoon looked like a little stingray with bad temper.

"do i look like i would settle for some lofi type of shit? it literally means low-quality music"

"it's low-fidelity music, you can't even get the meaning right"

jihoon rolled his eyes, "it literally has the word 'low' in it, do i look i would produce something so imperfect?"

wonwoo couldn't believe his ears, he felt betrayed. "well excuse your beethoven wannabe ass but its imperfections are literally what makes it perfect"

"we're doing an impressionism piano piece and that is final"

"i make lofi music" wonwoo muttered before sitting back down, offended.

"you do?" jihoon's eyebrows raised ten feet. "don't you listen to my chemical romance?"

"jihoon i'm eighteen now that was four years ago" wonwoo sighed. "you know what, i'll go to your house this weekend. i am not doing this in school"

jihoon pulled a super mario jump when the door of the music room violently swung open, creating a loud crashing sound. "OH MY GOD GUYS"

wonwoo wanted to hit the boy with a chair, "what the hell, kwon soonyoung?"

jihoon glared at him and picked up the guitar beside him, ready to fight. "what do you want"

panting, soonyoung worriedly looked at jihoon. "your father, he's here with joshua's family"

jihoon dropped the guitar.

-

he ran out of the music room and into the hallway as fast as he could, nearly tripping. he bumped into several people but he didn't care. three minutes of running felt like an hour to jihoon. the hugeness of their building did not help him one bit.

once out of the building, he rushed to their school's parking lot which was conveniently placed just beside the building (even though it took two minutes to get there).

as he ran closer and closer, the familiar figure of his father grew more visible. beside him stood jihan who looked like she didn't want to be there.

he stopped running when they were twenty feet apart. his eyes met his twin sister's. he gave her a look of confusion and worry, she just looked away.

he looked at joshua who didn't look very interested. he even had the audacity to use his phone.

once the situation had sunken in, he snapped back to reality and bowed ninety degrees as a form of respect.

"father, you're home" he forced a smile. he then looked at joshua's family. "wonderful afternoon, mrs. and mister hong"

"good day, woozi" mrs. hong warmly greeted.

he hasn't spoken in english for so long, he felt as if he had forgotten everything.

"hello woozi" his father greeted. "you've grown so much, how long has it been?"

"three years"

"ah, you were chan's age when we last met" his father laughed. it sounded so fake, jihoon cringed.

"what brings you here?" he asked, eyeing joshua who finally got off his phone.

"i wanted to pick my eldest son up" his father replied. "you ready to go?"

"i just need to grab my bag and stuff" jihoon stated. "can jihan come with me?"

-

"why the hell is he here?!" jihoon yelled, attracting more attention as they walked the hallways of their building.

"not now, jihoon. you're attracting attention" jihan muttered, jaw clenched.

"is there something i don't know?" jihoon grabbed jihan's wrist, stopping her from walking so fast.

sighing, she looked back at jihoon. she pulled her arm away from him, "do you want to make a scene?"

at this point, students started circling around them. it was normal for jihan and jihoon to argue but this was different. jihoon seemed furious and jihan seemed beyond annoyed. they had never reached this point. luckily, there  weren't a lot of students left, as it was quite late.

wonwoo walked through the small crowd. "these twins, i fucking swear"

he was about to walk into the scene when chaehan stopped him. wonwoo glared at the girl. "what the hell do you want, yoon?"

"leave them" she glared back. "that's their business, not yours"

"sorry to tell you but i've been in their business since we were five so back the fuck up"

"what the hell is your problem?!" jihan irritatedly asked. "we can discuss this at home"

"why the fuck is that man back in south korea? what is he doing here and why was he with the hong family?!"

jihan had enough. her blood was boiling and she was suffering from jetlag. a yelling jihoon was not what she wanted.

"they're here because of my engagement with joshua"