Chapter 10: Like

After eating, they didn't exchange any word. There's this awkward atmosphere between them and it's so uncomfortable. Silence is ringing in the forest, only the sound of insects, rustling of leaves, and the wind are the sounds that can only be heard.

Jiang Cheng suddenly felt the urge to sleep. His eyes are droopy and ready to close and when Lan Xichen averted his gaze at him, he immediately caught his head and put it on his shoulder, he chuckled, "All you do is sleep whenever you're done eating," he whispered and stared at his face.

He sighed and looked up at the leaves of the tree, feeling the breeze of the fresh air, "If only I can be this wind that can freely whisper in your ear, I should have voiced out these feelings a long time ago. But it's impossible, you're a lycan, and I'm a vampire, this lifetime is not for us," he talked to the sleeping Jiang Cheng, he gazed at his hand that is laid on the ground, "Will I be able to hold your hand without ever thinking of someone seeing us?" he said, "Or do you even have feelings for me the way I have for you?" he continued.

He heaved a deep sigh once again, "what should I do?" he asked himself then he chuckled bitterly, "I guess I can't do anything after all," he said and smiled bitterly.

.

The afternoon went smoothly, Jiang Cheng is fast asleep and Lan Xichen is watching him the whole time.

"The sun is starting to set," Lan Xichen uttered, the sky is turning in orange hue indicating that the sun is setting.

"A'Cheng," he called out, gently tapping his cheeks.

"Hm?" he groaned as he slowly opened his eyes.

"Wake up, the sun is setting, we should head back," he said and smiled at him.

Jiang Cheng scratched his eyes and slowly regaining his consciousness. He suddenly felt something warm on his right hand. Puzzled, he tilted his head and looked at it.

Then he suddenly snapped, his eyes went wide at what he is seeing right now. 'XICHEN IS HOLDING MY HANDS?!' he screamed internally.

His cheeks flushed and his heart started racing fast. He immediately pulled his hand that made Lan Xichen surprise.

Lan Xichen's cheeks flushed, he hasn't realized that he forgot to remove his hands before Jiang Cheng can wake up.

"S-sorry," he stammered as he apologized and looked away. His heart is beating fast as well.

"W-we should head h-home," Jiang Cheng stuttered and stood from his seat, not facing Lan Xichen.

"Y-Yeah, we should," he answered and stood from his seat as well.

"S-See you," Jiang Cheng bid goodbye, and sprint out of the place. His heart is beating too fast that he thought that Lan Xichen might hear it, so immediately escaped. When he is about a mile away from the place, he stopped. He cupped his chest, "What is this?" he asked himself. It is beating too hard like it wants to escape from his chest.

.

"I messed up," Lan Xichen said to himself as he stands in the middle of the forest. Earlier, when Jiang Cheng is fast asleep, he had the urge to hold his hand. He's debating with himself if he should hold it or not. But his desire overpowered is reasoning and intertwined his hands with Jiang Cheng's delicate hands.

"What now Xichen? You messed up," he blamed himself. He heaved a deep sigh, "how will we go back now?"

.

After arriving at Yunmeng, Jiang Cheng stayed in his room. He slumps himself on the bed while his hand is in the air, staring at it.

He can still feel the warmth on his hand. His cheeks flushed when he remembered the hand that was placed above his hand a while ago.

His heart raced again, he has been feeling funny these past few days whenever Lan Xichen is involved.

"AAAAAh!" he screamed that alerted Jiang Yanli, gladly, Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyuan are not around.

Jiang Yanli immediately ran to his room, and banged the door open, "What happened?!" she asked worriedly.

Jiang Cheng was startled at his door that suddenly opened, he jumps in surprise.

He chuckled awkwardly when he heard his sister suddenly barged in.

"N-nothing, hehe" he chuckled awkwardly.

Jiang Yanli sighed, "Then what are you screaming at?" She asked.

"I said it's nothing!" he rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue.

"Then don't scream so loud, you're disturbing the clan," she said and turned to the door.

"Yeah, sorry," he answered and laid on his chest.

She stepped out of his room without a word and closed the door behind her.

Jiang Cheng sighed, what happen when he was with Lan Xichen is making him frustrated.

"I should not go there in the meantime," he said to himself as he closed his eyes. "I need to clear my mind first,"

.

It's been days since Jiang Cheng didn't go to the middle of the forest, Lan Xichen has been going there every day. He even waits for hours just to see if Jiang Cheng will come but there's no sign of Jiang Cheng.

He sighed, he is even blaming himself for doing that thing. "Now everything is ruined," he mumbled to himself.

It's okay for him to not let Jiang Cheng know about his feeling as long as he stays beside him. He can endure the pain of being silent about it, but he can't endure it if Jiang Cheng decided to not see him anymore.

He cupped his head, frustrated at his thoughts.

Just as he is drowning in his deep thoughts, a knock on the door suddenly snapped him.

He stood from his seat and sighed heavily. He opened the door, only to see Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan looked at him directly in the eyes.

"Brother, you're not okay." He said, it was not a question rather, it's a statement.

He sighed, his brother seen through him again.

"I'm fine, Wangji." He lied, even though he knows that Lan Zhan already knew the truth.

"I know you're not, by the way, the Jin clan has a letter for you," Lan Zhan said and handed him a paper.

Lan Xichen's brows met, "Why?" He mumbled but Lan Zhan was able to hear.

"He took a liking at you," he suddenly uttered that made him look at him.

Lan Xichen chuckled, "That's absurd," he shook his head.

"I'll be going now, brother," Lan Zhan bid and turned around.

Lan Xichen sighed again and looked at the letter, "Whatever the message in this, I don't like what's going on," he said and entered his room and closed the door behind him.