Chapter 27: Together

The time is ticking. Every single one of the merfolks that gets on their way is pierced to death.

After an hour or less the noise outside subsided. Lan Xichen gripped on his sword and swam to the mouth of the cave to see if the coast is clear. As he peeked outside, dead bodies of merfolks are scattered, blood is making the water dirty, the scent of iron is lingering under his nose.

"No ones around, we're safe to go out," Lan Xichen said after getting near Jiang Cheng and Wen Qing.

Jiang Cheng slowly regained his consciousness that made Lan Xichen immediately swam by his side. He looked at him as he caresses his hair. "Are you fine now?" he asked worriedly.

Jiang Cheng smiled at him faintly, "I'm fine now, let's go see the rest," He uttered trying to fight off his weak voice.

"You need to recover for a while then let's head there," he said and gave him a reassuring smile.

"Okay," she answered politely.

After about thirty minutes, Jiang Cheng immediately recovered his strength, though his flippers are still in a bad state.

"Hold onto me, I'll help you swim," Lan Xichen said and helped him get up. Jiang Cheng held on to Lan Xichen tightly. Then he looked at Wen Qing.

"Ms. Wen, I owe you so if you would like you can come with us. We'll protect you," he said and smiled widely. Lan Xichen looked at her as well and smiled.

Wen Qing sighed, well, she wanted to be free from being a slave of the merfolks a long time ago.

She smiled back at them and nodded.

After agreeing, Wen Qing held on to the little merman boy's hand as they swam out of the cave. Just when they were about to leave the place, they heard a commotion at the castle. Everyone is gathered there.

They thought, they can't get out of the water without the pearl, so they dash off to where everyone is.

But a tragic scene welcomed them. Wei Ying was on Lan Zhan's arms, pale and unmoving. Blood is dispersing, mixing with the water. Same as with Lan Zhan's tears that leaving from his eyes and mixing with the water.

The little merboy immediately let go of Wen Qing's hand and swam beside Lan Zhan's side, probably, he recognized Wei Ying.

Everyone is mourning his death, Lan Xichen held on to Jiang Cheng's hand tightly and glance at him. Tears are falling from his eyes as well. Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying may have met just for a short while, he still became part of his life. That short while, there he felt that someone understands the same thing as his, but there's no one he could tell his worries and someone that will cover up for him anymore.

Lan Xichen immediately hugged him tight and caress his back. "Shh, he will be guiding us up there," he whispered. Lan Xichen may not know how close the two are but he knows Jiang Cheng is in so much pain.

They got their victory over the merfolks but losing someone valuable made like all the fights they did are useless. Especially for Lan Zhan, he fought hard to avenge the death of the family of the one he loves but ended up leaving him for real.

Lan Xichen tapped on Lan Zhan's shoulder, giving him a smile that's telling him to be strong.

Lan Zhan's eyes were already swollen but his tears never stopped falling. He hugged the little merboy as he bawls his eyes out.

Jiang Cheng tapped Lan Xichen on the chest. His tears have dried up. Only his heart that is hurting was left.

"Let's give him space for now," He whispered to Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen sighed, he doesn't want to leave his brother behind but it looks like he needs time for himself.

Lan Xichen nodded at him and carried him on his arms as he used his inhuman speed so no one would notice them being together.

They arrived at his room, then he gently laid him down.

"We need to change our clothes first, it's all wet." He said and went to get inner robes for them to use.

Jiang Cheng forced himself to sit but failed. His feet suddenly felt painful. He winced.

Lan Xichen immediately run to his side, he clicked his tongue at him, "You should've not forced yourself, I will help you get dress," He said and help him lay properly.

Just when Lan Xichen is in the middle of dressing Jiang Cheng, a knock on the door was heard. They both looked at the door. "Who might it be?" Lan Xichen asked himself.

He stopped dressing Jiang Cheng and covered him with a blanket. "I'll check on it," he said and Jiang Cheng nodded at him.

He opened the door slightly, and there he saw Jin Guangyao standing in front of his door.

"Master Lan! I'm happy that you're okay." He said cheerfully and tried opening the door widely so he can see Lan Xichen clearly.

"Thank you Master Jin, But I'm kind of tired at this moment," He answered monotonously as he prevents him from opening it wider.

"Is that so? I can massage your back for you, it must be tough on the battlefield," he said with a wide smile.

Lan Xichen rolled his eyes internally, "Thank you for the offer master Jin but I have to decline." He answered coldly.

"How cold, I just want to make you feel good," he pouted but deep inside his head, he's grinning evilly.

"I'm fine now master Jin as you can see. Thank you for worrying over me," he said and about to close the door but Jin Guangyao slid his foot to prevent him from closing.

"Then why not I offer you tea master Lan, you're room kind of needs some warmth in it," he said all smiling, 'take the bait already, playing hard to get again ain't we?' he said in his mind.

"I need rest master Jin, so if you may please remove your foot," Lan Xichen said with his indifferent tone, trying to suppress his anger, he doesn't want to let out his anger since he never has tried being angry before.

Jin Guangyao clicked his tongue inside his head, he faked a smiled and removed his foot. 'when are you going to let your guard down?' he said inside his mind.

"Thank you, have a good night to you, Master Jin," He said and closed the door.

Jin Guangyao's face suddenly became red, his blood boiled in anger. He never has gone that far to get what he wants yet he's rejected. When he's finally distant away from Lan Xichen's room, he burst. Cursing and ranting over and over. He stomped his feet heavily with his furrowed brows and gritted teeth. He went to his room and threw everything that his hand grasps.

On the other hand, in the room of Lan Xichen

"Who was that?" Jiang Cheng asked when he came back.

"Master Jin Guangyao," he answered with his stern tone.

"That leech again huh, what did he scheme again?" Jiang Cheng asked.

"He's trying to get under my pants," he said and finally finished putting his robe on Jiang Cheng.

"Hm, I pity him," Jiang Cheng snickered.

"Why?" He asked with his brows furrowed then snug himself on the bed. He hugged Jiang Cheng on his waist and put his arm under his head so he can use it as a pillow.

"He can't get you even he do every trick under his sleeves," he tittered and hugged Lan Xichen and rest his face on his neck.

"We're bonded remember? And also, you're carrying my baby, and I love you so much so nothing can break us," he said and caress his waist.

"Yeah, I love you more" Jiang Cheng answered and smiled wide.

"Now rest, you did well today," he said and hummed a melody for Jiang Cheng to sleep.

Their hearts beat in sync as to how the melody goes. The warmth of each other's body is overwhelming and comfortable. The moon is smiling at both of them, who are holding each other dearly.