//42// Suspicions Grow

WARNINGS: none that I can think of :)

I'm standing to the right of Russel. He's in front of the entirety of Sanctum. They've provided me with a knife, a handgun, and a sword. I didn't expect so much so soon but I guess he trusts me. I have no idea why but I'm thankful for it. If I ever need to kill him super fast, I would have a pretty good vantage point. Maybe he trusts me because he knows I'll do what's best for my people and him alive is in their interest right now.

He's making some speech that I'm not listening to. I'd totally be paying attention if I weren't focussing my energy elsewhere. Since I'm stuck with this job, I figured I'd do my best at it. I'm canvassing the crowd and examining to find any angry faces or concealed weapons. I don't find any. Every expression is nothing less than painful glee. It's a little terrifying to be honest. Once I'm through with the crowd, I move to looking in every window of the buildings. No secret snipers or bows and arrows. Turns out that this place is strangely passive. I wouldn't know much about that but they seem at peace.

They're having a party after they "name" Delilah in the castle. I still haven't been in there yet but I will soon enough. They've just taken her inside there. I silently wonder what they're doing to her but I think it best not to say anything. After a few minutes of me waiting, Delilah comes out with her hair pulled back and a long, silver dress on her. Her shoulders are held back and her smiling expression has turned weirdly serious. She has a completely different air around her. Jordan (who was involved with her before) walks up to her and says some quiet words but she just nods vaguely.

Delilah was so happy and delightful. Her entire personality was joyful. Now she's stone faced and her seriousness is scaring me a bit. What does it remind me of?

Monty.

When I saw him during the Red Sun, he looked just like one of my best friends but it wasn't really him. It was just a figment of my imagination. This woman looks just like Delilah but she can't be. What the hell did they do to her?

"Behold Priya," Russel says into the microphone.

"Hallowed be her name," everyone choruses together.

I share a look with John where we both raise our eyebrows. He's skeptical of this too, I know it. He doesn't belong here. Of course, I don't really belong here either. Well, that isn't entirely true. I belong anywhere he is.

In less than half an hour, I'm standing inside the castle. The main room has been cleared of all furniture and has been replaced with a dance floor. People are dancing together underneath the multicoloured lights. Tables sit off to the side where people are having quiet conversations. Priya is stone cold at the wall. She smiles at the occasional passerby but nothing more than that. And I'm watching her because that's my job. Protect the Primes at all costs. Clarke is dancing with the doctor (Cillian). I can see that ending nicely for the both of them.

"Dance with me."

I look up from my focus to find John holding his hand out to me. A slow song has just started playing. I smile. "That's sweet but I'm working-"

"Come on. I'm sure Russel won't mind," he says, glancing over his shoulder at the man.

I follow his gaze, finding him sitting at a table across the room. He meets my eyes in no time, looking at John then at me. I raise my eyebrows with a little smile and he smiles back almost immediately. He nods politely, turning away so that the exchange ends.

I nod too, looking back at John. "Looks like I'm off the hook."

John smiles, taking my hand and leading me to the dance floor. He places his hands on my hips while I rest my arms on his shoulders. My fingers clasp behind his neck as we start to sway back and forth. He's grinning wide down at me.