Chapter 14: Her History

H E R   H I S T O R Y

———

Mal's POV

I hugged the shirt Draco handed me and loved the way it smelled. We had agreed that I would tell him about my nightmares after I changed into something more comfortable.

"Let me have some sweatpants." I held my hand out.

"You don't need them. You can simply wear my shirt." He smiled smugly and I rolled my eyes.

"Excuse me? Sir let me just get the pants." He groaned and ran his hand through his hair.

"'Sir' Fine, you're no fun." He threw me some sweatpants and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Say that again and you won't get anything tonight." I challenged.

He sat up straight and made a motion to zip up his lips and throw away the key. I rolled my eyes and went into the bathroom to quickly change. Getting out of those heels and that dress felt like such a relief. This is why I hate dressing up, especially when I have to wear a dress. I got out of the bathroom, carefully laid my dress on a chair, and went to sit next to Draco, crossing my legs together.

"Okay... here we go I guess..." I started fiddling with my charm bracelet, "Well, let me just get it right out: I'm not muggle born."

"What? But you're Granger's sister, I've met your parents, sorry to break it to you baby but they're muggles." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Yeah, she's muggle born, and my parents are muggles, but they only became my parents 7 years ago. I'm adopted." I gave him a minute to process the information.

"Wait... so if you're adopted, who are your real parents?"

"The Grangers are my real parents."

"Right... I mean your... biological? Parents?" He asked me skeptically and I nodded to reassure him that was the right term.

"Have you heard of the Delevines?"

"The ones that died in a car accident?" I nodded and looked at him expectantly. His eyes widened and he backed away a little, "Bloody fucking hell! Aren't you supposed to be... you know... dead?"

"Yeah... that's what he wanted everyone to think. He couldn't have people thinking his 'disgrace' of a daughter survived and left him." I scoffed and my voice dripped with hatred as I recalled my biological father.

"He?" Draco raised an eyebrow at me.

"My birth father." I explained.

"Wait... your father..." I looked at him and he corrected himself immediately, "your biological father is Elliot Delevine..." I nodded, "and your biological mother is Katerina Delevine... you were named after her, weren't you?" I nodded again. "So wait... if they're not dead then why did you get adopted?"

"They're not dead... but my mother is." I smiled as I remembered her, "she was the sweetest, smartest, and most badass person I've ever met. She used to brush my hair and sing me stories about Hogwarts when I was smaller. I wouldn't even have to beg her to do so, she did it every night, I always thought those stories were just that -- stories -- until I came here, that is. She was a Ravenclaw." I frowned a little as I recalled my memories with her and how much I missed her sometimes, "But she's dead. I killed her." I whispered. Draco leaned in and placed a hand on my thigh.

"No baby, you didn't. She died in a car accident."

"Yeah, one that I caused."

"You were... what? Eight? Seven? You couldn't have caused it." Draco tried to reason with me.