Chapter - 14 : Wand Choosing

As they stepped out, they saw Hagrid heading their way, holding two large ice creams. They thanked him for it and ate quietly.

Ava had so many questions in her mind that were still unanswered.

"What's up?" said Hagrid
"Nothing." Harry replied. They had stopped to buy parchment and quills. Harry had cheered up when he saw a bottle of ink that changed colour as you wrote.

When they left the shop, Ava turned to him and asked, "Hagrid, what's Quidditch?"
"Blimey, Ava, I'd forgotten how little yeh both know - not knowin' about Quiddich!"

"Yes, but what is it?" she asked impatiently.
"It's our sport. Wizard sport. It's like - like football in the muggle world - everyone follows Quiddich- played up in the air on broomsticks and there's four balls - sorta hard to explain the rules."

"And what are the school houses?"
"School houses? There's four - Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin." he replied.

They moved on and went to the shop called Flourish and Blotts. They purchased their school books and like her father had asked her, she bought a few more books about Hogwarts and the wizarding world.

Next they went ahead and purchased their two pewter sized cauldrons as mentioned in their school list. Then the apothecary.

As they left, Harry walked ahead. Ava pulled Hagrid back and said, "Hagrid, it's Harry's birthday today. Why don't we get him an owl as a present?"
"Yeh know? That's a brilliant idea!" Hagrid said enthusiastically.

So they dragged Harry into Eeylops Owl Emporium and got him a beautiful snowy owl, who Harry named Hedwig, and surprisingly Hagrid bought one for Ava too, even though she protested claiming he didn't have to.
"Codswallup!" he said as he handed the cage of another snowy owl, who Ava decided to call Nessie (who was Hedwig's twin sister).

Now for their wands, Hagrid claimed that there was no place better than Ollivander's. So in they went. Mr. Ollivander treated Harry almost just like Tom the barman. But he was exceptionally kind to Ava too.

Mr. Ollivander took the measures of both of their bodies and shuffled out of sight to bring a few boxes of wands. Harry was asked to waves roughly five wands till he found the right one which shot red and gold sparks from its end.

Ava heard Mr. Ollivander say that the Phoenix who's tail feather resides in his wand gave just two more feathers. One of the wands was still with him though it was curious that Harry was destined for this wand while its brother gave him his scar.

"Curious how these things happen... The wand chooses the wizard, remember... We can expect great things from you, Mr. Potter... After all, He Who Must Not Be Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great." Harry shivered at these words by Mr. Ollivander.

"Ah, now, dearie, let's find you yours." Mr. Ollivander said.

Like Harry, she held roughly three wands but none seemed appropriate.
"I wonder...." saying this the wand maker went to the back of his shop again and brought in another wand box. He opened it and presented the wand to Ava.

When Ava took the wand, she felt a sudden warmth in her fingers. She casually moved it and like Harry, a stream of sparks escaped her wand but only, her's were emerald green and gold. Though she didn't understand as well as Mr. Ollivander, she knew this was it.

"Ah, Miss Harlow... We can expect great things from you too. Your wand has the third feather from the same Phoenix. 9 and 3/4 inches, Phoenix core with a single unicorn hair, rosewood. Reasonably flexible, and very, very loyal. Excellent for any kind of magic. One of the strongest I've ever made." said Mr. Ollivander proudly.

Ava didn't know how to respond except for a soft, "Oh."
They quick paid their seven galleons each and left the shop. They made there way to the Leaky Cauldron to grab a quick lunch.

Harry's anxiety about being incompetent, flared. But Hagrid calmed him down. After grabbing a bite, Hagrid helped both of them onto trains that would take them home. He asked Harry to send him a letter if he had any trouble with the Dursleys. He told Ava to write to him if I had any more questions that he could answer and she was glad that he felt comfortable with those arrangements.

He gave each of them their tickets to the Hogwarts Express that left at 11:00 am on the first of September. They bid goodbye to each other and to Hagrid and were off to go to their homes.

————————
Hi everyone! I hope you're enjoying the book so far! I'm incredibly grateful that you continue to read it! Thanks for sticking around.

I know, it's sometimes kinda boring to re-read this because you know what to expect, but trust me, all of these small things are of so much importance later on in this book.

Thanks for reading!
Comment, vote, share and follow!
Lots of love <3

Always,
Ana