Chapter - 19 : Under the Hat

Ava walked quickly but quietly towards the stool and put the hat on her head.

"Ah! Brilliant mind you've got, kid. Hmmm.... Where to put you? Your bravery is unmissable but your ambitious and loyal nature overpowers it... Talent is extraordinary. But brilliance of mind too. You're rather difficult to place. Any preferences?" the Sorting Hat conversed in her head.

"You're asking me?!" Ava thought horrifically. Regaining her control she replied, "None as such, thank you. I'm ok wherever you put me."

"Ah! Traits of a kindness too! Why, you just made it harder! But nevertheless, I can see you doing the best in one particular house. And oh! It's in your blood too. So better be - SLYTHERIN!"

On one hand she could see the horrific expression on Ron's face, and on the other she could also see a smug smile on Draco's. Though he was very careful with his thoughts, Ron wasn't. He was just as horrified in his mind as the expression on his face, if not more.

Harry's face didn't betray much but he was sad in his thoughts. She turned to see Hermione glance away from her. She turned to Hagrid who gave her a smile which more forced than voluntary.

Was being a Slytherin so bad? Why won't Hermione even meet her eyes? Why were Hagrid and Harry so sad?
She walked back towards the Slytherin table which was bursting with applause. She pondered what the Hat had said - it was in her blood. What did it mean?

Just a few names after her Draco got sorted into Slytherin. He came and sat beside her. But she was too lost in her thoughts to care about anything. The rest of the sorting passed quicker than she'd expected. The only sortings she'd actually paid attention to were Harry and Ron's both of whom got sorted into Gryffindor.

As Harry walked to the Gryffindor table, he gave Ava a weak smile which she returned at the last second. But Ava didn't actually mind being in Slytherin. She didn't see how it could be any different.

Once all the students were sorted, Dumbledore said, "Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I'd like to say a few words. And here they are - Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!"

He sat back down. Everybody clapped and cheered. It was rather hilarious according to Ava. But she forgot all that when the dishes in front piled with food : roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops, lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, chips, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup and oddly enough, mint humbugs.

Ava just realised that she hadn't eaten anything since breakfast! How odd! She began taking a bit of everything and eating and quickly yet methodically as possible.

"So," Draco said, trying to make a conversation, "Tell me about yourself."
"Didn't you hear everything about me at Madam Malkin's?" she asked.

"Well, yes." he said.
"Then why don't you tell me about yourself?" she asked.
"Umm... Ok sure but there isn't much to tell." he warned her.

Draco was incredibly nervous as to what to say and what not to say. Finally getting irritated at being given only half the information, Ava huffed, "Oh for heaven's sake! Just sit still for a minute ok?"
"Uh ok...?" he agreed.

Ava quickly focused onto Draco's mind like she had on Harry's. It felt easier for her to penetrate his mind, now. She skimmed through his thoughts and by now she knew everything any person could possibly know about Draco.

"Arghhhhh!" Draco grunted as Ava broke the connection. His face had gone even paler than before as though he'd vomit any minute.
"Oh! I'm sorry! I may have put too much force into it! I'm sorry!" Ava apologised.
"It's ok," he said sipping on a glass full of pumpkin juice, colour returning back to his face, "But woah! Freaky!"

Ava laughed - a clear, ringing laugh. Out of the corner of her eye, though, she could see Harry staring at her, Ron stuffing food in his mouth while a boy name Seamus Finnigan questioned the Gryffindor ghost.

Bloody Baron, the Slytherin ghost, too, made his way across the table. Ava knew a fair bit about him from Hogwarts : A History.
"Hello Mr. Baron!"said Ava.
"Hello! First-year aren't you?" he responded
"Yes sir!" she said sweetly
"Why, you are extraordinarily sweet, aren't you?"
"Why, you are extraordinarily handsome, aren't you?"
"Ha! I like you kid," said the Bloody Baron
"Thanks sir!" Ava replied as he moved on.

Draco sat there, trying to understand what had just happened.
"You managed to dazzle a ghost!" Draco said in almost a whisper.

—————————
Hope you enjoyed this chapter and are enjoying the book overall! Let me know your thoughts about it in the comment section!
Thanks for reading!

Always,
Ana