Chapter - 58 : Testing the Teacher

The following morning, notes were delivered to Harry, Hermione and Neville at the breakfast table with the time of their detention. Across the hall Ava heard Malfoy shouting inside his head about how unfair it was that he got detention.

"Well, have fun!" Ava called out to him, in the most innocent voice she could, as Malfoy left the common room later that evening.

Ava had fallen asleep when something started throbbing in her head.

"Ava! Ava! AVA!" came from three different heads with such force that it woke her up.

"Gah!" she sat bolt upright. The voices continued, "Meet us in the empty classroom on the fifth floor! Now! It's very urgent!"

Ava sighed and put on her night robes before quietly heading out the grey stone wall and towards the fifth floor.

"Were you asleep?" asked Hermione.
Ava nodded.

"I'm sorry Ava, but this was very urgent and important." she said.

"Well get on with it!" Ron urged.

Harry was pacing up and down the room. Ava was sensing his train of thoughts when he finally spoke, "Snape wants the stone for Voldemort... and Voldemort's in the Forest... and all this time we thought Snape just wanted to get rich..."

"Stop saying the name!" said Ron in a terrified whisper, as though someone could hear him.

He continued on about a centaur named Firenze and the misreading of planets and Voldemort coming back to kill Harry...

"So all we've got to do is wait for Snape to steal the Stone, then Voldemort would be able to come and finish me off... well, I suppose, Bane'll be happy." Harry said at last.

Hermione looked feverish with fear, but Ava had a word of comfort.

"Harry, Dumbledore's the only one Voldemort was ever afraid of. With Dumbledore around, he won't touch you." Ava told them.

"And we can't really base our complete future on centaurs' readings, can we? It sounds like fortune - telling to me, and Professor McGonagall says that it's a very imprecise branch of magic." Hermione said warmly.

The sky had turned light before they stopped talking. They went to bed exhausted, and their throats sore.

~

As the exams came Ava enjoyed the studying more and more. Ron called her mad to be able to enjoy such a torture. Ava simply laughed at that.

But Ava really wanted to speak with Professor Dumbledore. So one day, after dinner, she asked him personally when they'd have their next class, saying that she wanted to talk.

He told her that he was a little busy right now but he could spare time for one more class before the holidays.

She thanked him and left. She spotted Professor McGonagall near the door.

Ava felt a new energy within her and decided to test her transfiguration teacher once more.

She shut her eyes and forced every ounce of her power, to look through Professor McGonagall's mind.

Ava reckoned that she'd caught her teacher off guard for Professor McGonagall lost her footing and nearly hit the ground.

But Ava now had full access to her mind. She could see a young, beautiful, athletic sixteen year old as the Gryffindor Quidditch captain.

The scene shifted to her working in the Ministry of Magic as an Auror. But she later decided to resign and came back to Hogwarts - it was her home.

The shifting scene showed her as a new witch, going to Diagon Alley and buying her new robes and books. Her parents were proud.

In all these months, Ava had never even thought about thinking of the stern professor's family.

But the scene shifted once more. The bodies of her parents lay lifeless. A bald man in a black tux told her that they were killed by Grindelwald himself.

The memories just drifted black. For a moment Ava thought that she was being forced out once more, but that wasn't the case.

It was just a time in Minerva McGonagall's life which had been in such darkness, that she'd forgotten how to live.

"Enough!" croaked Professor McGonagall.

Ava's eyes fluttered open. She saw her teacher kneeling on the floor - her face beaded with sweat, her books askew.

-----
Hey guys! I hope you all are doing great! I hope school and everything's alright!

Thanks for 900+ reads!

Lots of love!

Comment, vote, share and follow!

Always,
Ana