Chapter - 53 : The Secret is Out

So now they had something else to worry about - Hagrid and his dragon.

"Wonder what it's like to live a peaceful life," Ron sighed one evening as they drowned in all the extra work given by their teachers.

Hermione had started preparing revision timetables for the two boys, much to their irritation.

But they liked it when Ava joined. She made the studies seem fun to them. But Hermione's bossy nature was getting on their nerves.

Then, one breakfast time, Hedwig brought the four another note from Hagrid. He had written only two words : it's hatching.

Ron wanted to skip Herbology and go straight down to the hut, but Hermione would hear of it.

"Hermione, how many times in our lives are we going to see a dragon hatching?" Ron reasoned.

"We've got lessons. We'll get in trouble, and that's nothing to what Hagrid's going to be in when someone finds out what he's doing-"

"Shut up!" Ava whispered.

They looked around cautiously and saw Malfoy only a few feet away and he had stopped dead to listen.

His face was smug.

Ah! The oaf's doing something troublesome, eh? That's perfect! I'll show Ava what wrong company she's in. Finally she'll believe me. He thought to himself.

Thank god he hadn't heard anything about the dragon. But they would have to move ahead with precautions.

Ron and Hermione argued all the way to the Entrance Door, and in the end, Ava suggested to run down to Hagrid's during the morning break to which the other three agreed. Ava moved to Charms with the rest of the Slytherins and the Ravenclaws.

When the bell sounded to end the lesson, Ava met her fellow Gryffindor friends half way to Hagrid's and he greeted them looking flushed and excited.

"It's nearly out," Hagrid ushered them inside.

The egg was lying on the table . There were deep cracks in it. Something was moving inside; a funny clicking noise was coming from it.

They all drew their chairs up to the table and watched with bated breath.

All at once, there was a scraping noise and the egg split open. The baby dragon flopped on the table. It's spiny wings were huge compared to its skinny jet body and it had a long snout with wide nostrils, stubs of horns and bulging, orange eyes.

It sneezed. Couple of sparks flew out of its snout.

"Isn't he beautiful?" Hagrid murmured. He reached out a hand to stroke the dragon's head. It snapped at its fingers, showing pointed fangs.

"Bless him, look, he knows his mummy!" said Hagrid.

"Hagrid," said Hermione, "how fast do Norwegian Ridgebacks grow, exactly?"

But before Hagrid could answer, the colour drained from Ava's face - she leapt to his feet and ran to the window for he had heard another voice in her head that didn't belong from this room - HOLY MERLIN! THE OAF'S GOT A DRAGON! Ha ha! I'll get him for this one!

"What's the matter, Ava?" said Hermione panicking.

"He was looking through the gap in the curtains - he's running back up to the school!" Ava was horrified.

"Who?"

"Malfoy!" Harry said with a snarl.

-----
Hey guys! I hope you're doing great!
Nothing too interesting happening lately except the fact that I've been waking up at 5:30 am to go running and do some yoga! It's been fun to go with my friend here!

But yeah, I hope you're enjoying the book so far! Thanks for reading!

Comment, vote, share and follow!

Always,
Ana