Chapter - 20 : A Mysterious Letter

"So?" Ava pondered nonchalantly.
"So? So?" Draco's voice was sarcastic. "You really don't understand? Fine! Look, ghosts don't particularly take a liking to any human; when they do, they go out of there way to protect them from any kind of pain. They became ghosts because of some rather unpleasant stuff to finish, like haunting someone; and this, it's like an opposite effect of the reason they became ghosts!"

"Woah! Didn't know that. But whatever."

"Forget that. So what are you going to do about the Gryffindors?" Draco asked in a serious tone.

"Oh," this question caught Ava off guard. "Umm I don't know if I'm supposed to do something. I don't see the problem in being friends with them, you know?"

"Well they are Gryffindors! Gryffindors and Slytherins don't exactly get along."

"Well that's just stereotypical. Gryffindor and Slytherin themselves were best friends. So there's really no point in being enemies." Ava reasoned.

"True. But that's the way things have been going on for centuries. The Gryffindors are too proud for their own good - thinking that they own the world." Draco said, his voice full of resentment.

"But to be fair, Draco, Slytherins behaved like snobbish buttheads too."

"Well, Ava, being a pureblood is like having all the money you want." Draco tried to explain.

"But I'm not a pureblood."
"You're NOT?!?"

"No. My mum was a muggle, didn't you pay attention?" Ava said.

"I did. But you'd only mentioned your father as a wizard."

"Well I thought that my mum being a muggle was understood." Ava justified.

"But how did you land up in Slytherin if you're not a pureblood?" asked Draco.

"I don't know." she said briefly.
A moment later the puddings appeared. Blocks of ice-cream in every flavour you could imagine, apple pie, treacle tarts, chocolate eclairs and jam filled doughnuts, trifle, strawberries, jelly, rice pudding...
Ava took a slice of apple pie and topped it off with a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream and tucked in.

Draco didn't speak for a while. He seemed too busy with his thoughts. But Ava didn't bother reading them.

"Ahem," Dumbledore cleared his throat ,"Just a few more words now that you all are fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.

"First - year pupils should note that the forest in the grounds is forbidden to all students. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."
Dumbledore's twinkling eyes flashed in the direction of the Weasley twins.

"I have also been asked by Mr Filch, our caretaker, to remind you that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.

"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch.

"And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bound to everyone who doesn't wish to die a very painful death."

Ava didn't know how to respond. But Professor Dumbledore continued, "And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!"

Dumbledore gave his wand a little flick as if he was trying to get a fly off the end and a long golden ribbon flew out of it, which rose high above the tables and twisted itself snake-like into words.

"Everyone pick their favourite tune and off we go! said Dumbledore.

"Ah, music," Dumbledore said, wiping his eyes when the song was over, "A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!"

Just as they were about to move, Ava saw a piece of paper floating towards her so smoothly that no one had noticed. She opened it and read -

Dear Miss Harlow,
I'm fully aware that you must be exhausted by today's travel, however, I'd like you to go down to your dormitory and return at once. Make any excuse you wish to. Please join me for a short walk across the grounds. None of the teachers will stop you when you try to approach.
I'm afraid that this cannot wait till tomorrow morning and must be sorted out as quickly as possible.
Hope to see you soon,
Albus Dumbledore

—————————
Eeeeeeep! Why do you think Dumbledore called her? Any guesses? Put them in the comments!

Also, on a totally unrelated note, my exams began today and today's paper was pretty alright! But like, on a Sirius note (bahahahha, ikr?), if Harry Potter were a subject, I'd never have to study for it!

Comment, vote, share and follow!

Thanks for reading! Lots of love!

Always,
Ana