Chapter - 6 : Snape's Memory

The following morning had brought nothing but trouble to Harry and Ron. Ron received a Howler from his mother and Hermione was very angry with the pair though Ava was her usual self.

Snape handed out their timetables to the Slytherins and Ava found out that they had Charms with the Ravenclaws first thing this morning.

She made her way to her class and wishing a good morning to all the people who wished her. But she was looking for someone in particular, someone who she hadn't met for the last few days, someone with dark hair and a pleasing smile.

"Ava!" a boy called out. She turned to see who is was and suddenly a grin crept up her face.

"Cedric! There you are!"

He opened his arms so she moved forward and gave him a warm hug.
"Which class do you have right now?" Ava asked Cedric.

"Uh, History of Magic," he replied. "You?"

"Charms. Merlin! I better get going or I'll be late! Bye Ced!"

She went away after she gave Cedric a tiny kiss on his cheek.

Ava was placed next to Draco, as always. They had resumed their old behaviour with each other. Ava no longer cared about what he thought but she stayed at her best.

"Alright class!" chirped the tiny Professor Flitwick, standing on his usual stack of books. "Before we begin anything new, let's revise the most important spells that we learnt last year - the Levitation charm, and the Disarming charm."

The class chanted the spells. Most had managed to successful accomplish it, though very few had mastered it.

So the class went on. Following to Charms was Herbology for the second-year Slytherins. They were taught about Mandrakes and how to repot them. Ava managed to gain their house another 20 points during the course of this class.

But by the end of the class, everyone was sweaty, aching and covered in Earth. They traipsed back to the castle for a quick wash and then lunch.

At lunch, Hermione showed off the buttons she'd managed to transfigure into beetles.

"What have you guys got this afternoon?" Ava asked.
"Defence Against the Dark Arts," Hermione replied at once.
"Hmm. I've got History of Magic," Ava sighed.

A boy named Colin Creevey eagerly edged towards the four and snapped his camera to click a picture. Harry was surprised and more importantly tried to shoo Colin away who persisted on receiving an autograph.

Ava quickly excused herself to go to the Library, not wanting to gain any attention to herself than required.

She headed up to the library and bumped into Professor Dumbledore.

"Professor!" she couldn't contain her smile.

"It's nice to see you too, Ava! My! How many inches did you grow this summer?" he laughed.

"Three inches easily!" Ava said, proudly.

"Where are you headed, Ava?"

"The Library, sir. Thought I might start on the homework," she said.

"But keen, eh?"
She chuckled.

"So, Professor, do we meet this Friday?" she asked.

"Why, of course! Meanwhile, you know what you must do, don't you?" He peered over his half-moon spectacles.

Ava nodded.

"Very well. Now off you go! Enjoy you day!" he said.

"You too, sir!"

She wanted to wait till dinner to test out her strength on Snape. But when she reached, the Gryffindors told them all about the DADA class in which Lockhart had made them write a test about him! And he'd released Cornish Pixies but he didn't have a clue on how to fighting them, as Ron said in a low voice so that his 'fangirl' Hermione didn't hear.

After dinner, Ava spotted Professor Snape moving about the fifth floor to inspect that no student was there. Although she focused hard, it seemed so much easier to penetrate his mind than it had been for McGonagall. She knew that he was more powerful than her, but entering his mind was easier.

She sifted through his memories, trying not to stop and see anything private.

But in the end, she saw him at a tattered and collapsed house - the home of Harry Potter when his parents were alive. She couldn't move from that memory. James Potter lay dead on the floor. His messy black hair was filled with saw dust, his hazel eyes were glassy and his body was stiff and rigid.

Snape moved on to the next room. Harry wasn't there. But Lily Potter's lifeless emerald green eyes seemed to be the last straw.

"I'm sorry!" Ava broke the connection. Snape was beaded with sweat, just like McGonagall had been.

Snape nodded and went away without any word. Why did the memories show her the worst? Why did people respond to it in such a way? Why couldn't she just keep her nose out of other people's minds? They deserved some privacy, at least in their thoughts, didn't they? But Dumbledore wanted her to prepare for this. He knew it's importance, it's worth, and she trusted Dumbledore.

—————
Hey everyone! Hope you're doing great! Thanks for reading and sticking around!

Lots of love!

Always,
Ana