Chapter - 39 : Courtyard Fire

As they entered November, the weather turned cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake like chilled steel.

Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen, from the windows of the castle, defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit-fur gloves and enormous beaverskin boots.

With the Quidditch season approaching, Harry's nerves baffled Ava's mind a lot. Though she was extremely grateful to Hermione for helping Harry with his homework, so that his mind calmed down a little.

The day before Harry's first Quidditch match (against Slytherin) the four of them had been were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Hermione had conjured up a bright blue fire which could be carried around in a jam jar.

They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Professor Snape crossed the yard. All four of them moved closer together to block the fire from the view. They were sure it wouldn't be allowed.

Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

It was a copy of Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," Snape said. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"He's just made that rule up," Ava said as Snape limped away, "I've read the student handbook. There isn't such a thing that mentions that we cannot bring library books to the courtyard!"

"Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" Harry muttered.

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly.

"Ava? Can't you see into his mind and know what happened?" Harry asked.

"It doesn't work that way. He's also a skilled Occlumens so it protects his mind from being invaded. And he's pretty strong, mind you. I've tried loads of times," Ava said.

She wasn't lying to them! She simply left out the part as to why she'd tried to invade his mind.

Yet she still felt guilty.

——————
Hi! I know that the chapters have been a little short lately but, *shrugs*.

Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter!

Comment, vote, share and follow!

Always,
Ana