Chapter 22: Final Day of Fourth Year

F I N A L   D A Y   O F   4th   Y E A R

———

Mal's POV

It was time to go home. I struggled to close my suitcase and opened it back up to see what the issue was. I smiled nostalgically as I saw what was preventing my suitcase from closing: a notebook. A notebook Ric gave me. I brushed my fingers over the soft cover that had a polaroid picture of us laughing together in the cover. Mione took this one. We snuck her camera in. I opened up the notebook and felt a tear fall silently across my cheek when I saw the dried up white rose petals I had saved in here. Ric knew I hated regular roses, so he gave me a white one instead. I miss you Ric.

I heard a knock on the door and quickly closed the notebook and placed it inside my backpack, closing the suitcase.

"Are you ready to go baby?" Draco's voice transcended through as he entered my room.

"Yeah. I am." I answered simply.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" He asked me shyly and I felt bad because I knew what my response was going to be. But I can't drag him down with me. And I can't be around him, not after Cedric.

"No I... I think I just need this summer with my family. But I'll see you when we get back. And we'll write." He nodded sadly but I knew he understood.

Draco's POV

I grabbed her suitcase and walked with her across the common room. I tried to take her hand but she flinched away and pretended she didn't see my attempt.

She hasn't been the same since that night of the final task. Of course I didn't expect her to be, but then again I didn't expect Diggory to die either. Despite how much I hate to admit it, she cared about Diggory, I mean truly cared about him. His death is affecting her heavily. Her fear came true, she didn't want to tell him because she was scared of something happening to him, and something did happen. This girl has really bad luck.

I dropped her suitcase off in her train compartment and turned to her.

"I'll see you in a couple months. I'll miss you." I cupped her cheek in my hand and fought not to wince when she pushed me always

"Yeah, me too." She spoke in a monotone voice.

I leaned in to kiss her but she turned and I ended up only kissing her cheek. Ouch. She smiled politely at me and slid into her booth, leaning her head on the window and closing her eyes. Why are you pulling away? I sighed and turned around, starting to walk away when I ran into Granger.

"Watch it Malfoy." She glared at me and tried to walk away but I held onto her arm gently.

"Hey umm... keep an eye on Kat this summer please."

"What, are you concerned or something?" She scoffed but got quiet when she saw the look on my face, "Oh. You are. Alright, I'll keep an eye on her. She'll be fine."

"Thanks. See you next year Granger." I let go of her and began walking away.

"Yeah... ok. See you." I heard her call behind me and kept walking.

Please take care of her. She's strong but everyone has a limit, she can only hold on for so long.