•Chapter 2•

2020

Fourth year, the year that takes us one step closer to being done with this place. Don't get me wrong- I love it here, the amount of people that I've formed unbreakably close bonds with is something that I could never give up, yet the classes and homework were definitely making the experience a bit damper at times.

Unluckily for me, my friends tend to not do their work - usually they hope that I've done enough for them to get away with, although itis not the case 90% of the time, which usually just ends up with my entire friend group in a weeks worth of detentions. Although the reputation of having detentions every week is less than ideal, the fact that I usually have friends with me makes it a little easier to deal with.

First thing to know about my friends is that we are a mixed bunch. We are probably one of the only groups in our school who have no issues with being friends from other houses. We have someone from each house - even some from higher and lower years.

The first person that I met when I got to hogwarts was Julie, another Gryffindor - she's been my friend since first year, when we had met on the train. She's definitely the brains of the group - my parents like to say that she's the new Hermione of Hogwarts.

Flynn and I met a few days after the sorting ceremony whist in our first potions class - she's in Slytherin, which is why people seem to judge our group so much, having a mixed house group is great in their eyes, as long as there are no Slytherin's involved.

Nick was the latest friend that I met. Unfortunately, I only met him in year 2, he just seemed like a beam of light, as the friendly Hufflepuff is always a joy to be around.

Nick's girlfriend, Carrie, is not so much of a joy to be around. She isn't really a friend of ours, as she honestly doesn't seem to like us very much, she just hangs out with us sometimes when she feels the need to be attached to Nick, probably to reinforce the fact that they're dating to the whole school.

Luckily for us, I'm the early 2000's Hogwarts made it a new rule that students would be allowed to sit anywhere in the great hall during meals - which allowed more people to find friends in other houses, although it still isn't very common.

"Are we in the same dorms this year?" Julie asks me, snapping me out of my daze.

"Yeah, probably." I brush her off, she frowns at me but leaves me to wonder off into my own world. I look out the train window to watch the trees pass past us in a blur as we zoom across the plains.

"Hola amigos!" I hear someone shout loudly as they enter our train compartment. I turn and see Nick and Flynn walking in with huge smiles and sombreros on their heads.

"You know Spanish now?" I ask him as I get up and make my way toward them with open arms.

"No, but over the summer I was staying with my aunt and uncle - they're muggles - and they showed me this program, Dora the explorer. I think they put it on for my cousin, but I couldn't help watching it, Miss explorer was so entertaining." He finishes explaining, and then I turn to Flynn, hoping her explanation would be more eventful.

"He found me wondering on the platform and shoved the sombrero onto my head. I had to join in on his happiness." She explains as she wraps me in her arms. As I pull away, I snatch the sombrero off of her head and put it on my own head.

"As someone who is legitimately Latina, I have to say, miss explorer is wonderful." Julie adds as she finishes hugging Nick.

"So what did you do over the summer Flynn?" I ask as I pay the seat next to me, urging her to sit next to me.

"Not much honesty. My parents didn't want us going overseas, they've been obsessed with those new theories the quibbles is pushing on the newest case of that dragon fever. Apparently leaving your house would get you killed according to them." She explains looking absolutely bored with her life.

"We'll I had a wonderful summer." Nick said with a bright smile.

"Yes with miss explorer we know." Flynn groans, crossing her arms as she gets comfortable in her seat.

"So that's really all you did? For three months?" Julie asks shocked.

"Not the entire time." Nick blushes, suddenly feeling embarrassed by his new obsession.

"But you still watched a show aimed at 5 year olds ." Flynn adds with a snort. Once again the arguments between Nick and Flynn start up again - that's how I know this argument will go on for a while, probably until we get to the castle.

It must've been a few minutes after I zoned out from their argument, that I noticed someone's reflection in the window of our car, and it was definitely someone I hadn't seen before. He had flicked out hair, an orange beanie, a blue shirt with no sleeves, and was staring directly at me. I turn and look at the hallway - where the reflection had been seen - but see nobody standing there. Strange, but I would rather not go investigating on my first day back, especially now that I'm a fourth year, I have to set an example for how things need to be.

I feel someone poke my knee, so I turn and look at Julie. "We'll be there in a few minutes, it's best that you go change into your robes now." She smiles. I quickly get up, grabbing my bag from the holders above our heads, to pull out the robes that I need before hurrying out toward the changing station, hoping they wouldn't be so busy.

As I walk out of our car, my body is harshly pushed from behind, making me drop all my clothes fly onto the floor.

"I am so sorry." A shocked voice says. I look up at the boy in front of me, and instantly notice the blond hair that has become so well-known in my life.

"Dont worry about it." I grumble, hating the awkward situation already. I lean down and begin collecting the clothes that had been scattered over the floor. "You're a Malfoy? Aren't you? You look like one." I ask bluntly, not wanting to be too rude.

"Yeah, apparently I am. Let me help you with that." He bends down and picks up the rest of my clothes before handing them to me.

"I'm Alex by the way. I'm new here if that wasn't obvious enough." He holds out his hand for me to shake awkwardly, I look down at it and motion to my hands - which are currently full - and he gets the memo. "What's your name?"

"Dani." I smile politely, silently hoping to get out of the situation.

"Dani?" He pushes me on to give my last name.

"Just Dani is fine."

"So you're familiar with the Malfoy's?" He asks wearily trying to make conversation.

"You could say that." I smile.

"Alex! Go change we're gonna be late." I hear someone shout from behind Alex. He turns around and shouts back at them.

"I'm coming, just give me a minute." He shouts frustratingly at his friend.

"Better get back to your friend." I laugh awkwardly.

"Sorry about him, he's just nervous about today, it's gonna be weird for all of us new kids." He explains, avoiding eye contact.

"Don't worry, it's not as scary as you would think, just remember to not fall while you walk up the stairs, people will laugh at you for the rest of the year." I say teasingly, only with a hint of truth - Nick was the one who learned that the hard way.

"That's super reassuring." He says sarcastically.

"Alex! Stop flirting and get over here." The same boy from before shouts even louder this time.

"I'll see you inside, I guess." He rubs his neck and turns to walk away.

"Yeah, probably will." I walk away from him, with a smile on my face.

It's not everyday that you find out a real Malfoy is actually a nice guy.

I'm sure my dad would love to hear about this.