Chapter 44: Nightmares

N I G H T M A R E S

———

Mal's POV

These past couple of weeks have not been fun... well, this month. Something is still wrong with Draco, he has barely spoken to me and doesn't even do so at breakfast, except for the polite conversation starters. I have barely slept, stupid, I know. But I have been getting more nightmares, and given the recent events with my birth father I just have Damien's death playing over and over in my head. Having to get used to sleeping by myself again isn't easy, so I've been running on cup after cup of coffee lately, sounds a little counterproductive but you gotta do what you gotta do. Instead of being with me, Draco's been talking to Pansy and Blaise and his other two close friends so much lately. I wouldn't hate that, if that group didn't include Pansy and exclude him speaking to me. God I hate that bitch.

Here I was, studying with Mione. Well, 'studying'. I'm not really paying attention. How could I? With my concern for Draco looming over my head it's a wonder I can still walk up the moving stairs without falling.

"Mal!" Woah. Mione startled me and I slipped and landed on the floor as my elbow slid off the table.

"What the hell Hermione?! Don't do that." I got up from the ground and sat back down on the chair.

"You're not paying attention."

"Yes I am. I was... reading." I scanned a random page of my Divination textbook.

"Reading?" She asked me skeptically.

"Yeah, I was very concentrated. You interrupted me. Shame on you." I tried to sound serious despite how exhausted I felt.

"Mal..." Mione warned.

"Fine fine. But you try running on basically no sleep for a month." I argued.

Mione sighed and closed her textbook, crossing her arms over it and leaning closer into me. "Nightmares haven't gotten better?"

"Worse." I buried my face in my hands.

"I thought Malfoy helped with that." She tilted her head in confusion.

"Key word: 'helped.' Past tense. He kicked me out." I whispered.

"He what?!" Mione yelled, clearly shocked.

"Gee Mione, why don't you just go yell that in the middle of Hogwarts, I don't think everyone heard you." I growled at her, indicating for her to be quiet.

"Sorry. But what do you mean he kicked you out?" She said the last words in utter disbelief.

"Simple. He said he didn't want me to stay in his room anymore." I shrugged, trying to pretend like the fact didn't hurt me as badly as it actually did.

Mione scoffed. "You're kidding?"

I shook my head. "Nope. So I've had my nightmares and haven't been sleeping. On the bright side: I've read so much at night that I think I know more about magical creatures and healing than even you. Jealous?" I teased.

"Of not sleeping? No. You should talk to him." She advised.

"Gee Mione, that is a bloody brilliant idea. I don't know how it's never occurred to me." I inflected my voice for the sarcasm to be more obvious. "Oh wait... it did. He won't talk to me." I admitted openly to her despite the sadness and humiliation I felt about it.

"I told you—" She began but I cut her off.

"I swear on everything Hermione if you tell me 'I told you so' right now I will burn your textbooks." I glared at her, my short fuse from not having my boyfriend by my side and not sleeping showing off prominently at Mione's words.