| 13 |

I let out a frustrated sigh as I delete the first line of my paper for the millionth time. The small blinking bar at the beginning of the empty page is intimidating, like it's taunting me.

  "Just write, Clover, it's not that hard."

  I roll my eyes at my thoughts, running my fingers through my hair. I got a decent grade on my narrative, a B minus. I couldn't complain though because that's the highest grade I've gotten on a paper before.

  I quickly realize that everyone is beginning to pack up, the class coming to an end causing me to sigh with relief.

  "Having a bit of trouble?" I glance up at the voice, a boy standing over the long table I shared with a few other students who have now left the building.

  "Is it that obvious?" I question, the boy grinning which exposes the long lines that draw out from the corners of his mouth, his left side having one more indent than his right.

  "To an English major, just a bit." He replies with a short laugh, using his thumb and pointer finger to emphasize his words, a grin crawling onto my lips as I sigh and shake my head. "I'm Jessie." He holds his hand out.

  "Clover." I answer, shaking his hand. He's cute, tall and kind of scrawny with dark black shaggy hair and round glasses perched on his thin nose.

  "Well listen, Clover. I'd love to help you out with your paper, if you want help." He shrugs, watching as I easily slide my computer into my bag before pulling it over my shoulder.

  "You're willing to help me? That'd be really great." I breathe, both of us beginning to slowly walk out of the building.

  His legs are skinny and covered with black ripped jeans with black high top converse. His upper body is covered with an oversized sweater that could pass as a grandpa sweater, different shades of navy blue, dark purple and brown all mixed together.

  "Yeah of course." He answers with a shrug, the cold air engulfing my body and stinging my hands and face. "Are you free now?"

  "Yeah actually. I know this great café just a bit off campus we can go to." I explain. Jessie seems completely on board, the two of us walking side by side.

  "So tell me about yourself, Clover." Jessie speaks as we stand at a crowded cross walk, cars flying by on each side of the road.

  "Well. . ." I draw out, my hands hooking around the straps of my backpack. "I'm from Nantucket, I major in art and design and I love cats."  I say, Jessie laughing as he nods his head. "Your turn." I nudge him.

  "Okay, well I major in English and I really hope to become a high school English teacher, I also really love dogs." He shrugs. "I'm also from here, born in the heart of New York." He adds. I could've guessed that by his accent.

  "High school, huh? What grade would you prefer?" I ask, the walk sign finally flickering so the group of us begin to cross the street, Jessie and I drifting off to the right.

  "Any grade, probably tenth mostly because that's the year they read all of the good books. You know Catcher in the Rye and To kill a mockingbird."