Chapter 45.

It was eleven at night, definitely your bedtime during normal days, of when you usually already curled up comfortably in your bed while surfing through the internet before sleep fetched you away

Tonight was certainly wasn't the ordinary one, when you stood inside the hospital emergency room, still clad in your working suit, you didn't even have the chance to go home first.
You were on your way home when you got a call from the nightshift manager.

Mr. Johnson got a heart attack, one that rendered him unconcious.
Since they couldn't speak in Balinese nor Indonesian, you had to accompany them to make sure they could get the right treatment in timely manner.

Not that your Indonesian was good anyway, it has been only almost four months since you arrived, but you understood some of the basic conversation.

Standing inside the emergency room, you watched as two nurses and a doctor on duty tried to put his heartbeat to normal.

"Unstable, charge again."

The nurse put the paddle back for the second time on the white patches adhered to his chest, and started counting before recharged the defibrillator.

"One, two, three...charge!"

Mr. Johnson's chest jerked once, and they looked at the erratic rhythmic of the lines on the monitor.

"Not enough, again."

Looking at their wary faces, even your heart also beating fast knowing that anytime a life might slipped through their fingers.
Being a doctor or nurse certainly wasn't an easy job.

Mrs. Johnson's sobs were now louder and she started to wail, you had to keep rubbing her back to calm her down.

It was on the fifth attempt they finally got the desired heart rate on the monitor, you could see relief washed over their face.

Mrs. Johnson was now standing next to the bed, kept wiping her tears with tissue.
You patted her back in a consoling manner, trying to calm her down, although you didn't know the prognosis yet.
Most likely they would have to keep him on bedrest for several days.

You waited until Mr. Johnson was settled in his room and his wife was calm enough to be left by herself, before you decided to go home, after promised her that you would visit to check on them the next day.

Walking down the long hallway towards the exit, you could smell the faint scent of jasmine flower around the air, a typical occurence in Bali.

Wherever you went, somehow the scent of jasmine, frangipani, plumeria or lemongrass were like following around, especially because Balinese people have traditions of putting down a piece of offerings in front of their doors or entrances, both in private houses or public places.

Canang sari as they called it, is an intricately square-shaped palm leaves pinned together with bamboo sticks.
The decorated palm couture filled with different kind of flowers, sometimes some snacks or tobacco, are prayed and kept in every nook and corner of Bali. The different colours of flowers in this palm tray symbolizes a Hindu God.