Chapter 48.

Uluwatu Temple, or Pura Luhur Uluwatu, was renowned for its magnificent location, perched on top of a steep cliff approximately seventy meters above the waves

A small forest surrounded the temple where hundreds of monkeys dwelled.
They were believed to be the loyal guardians of the temple.

It was already afternoon when you and Jungkook arrived at the area of the temple.
Both of you had finished walking around the Jimbaran beach area, before rode the car to head to the temple where the fire dance would be performed.

Four months being in Bali, but the Kecak and Fire Dance was something you had overlooked.
Most of the time you were too tired to go out during your day off, preferred to relax in your brother's house instead, or took Ayumi for shopping.

Now since Jungkook was with you, it seemed like a good chance, you've been wanting to watch it before.
You just prayed that it wouldn't rain today, otherwise you would have to leave halfway of the show.

Both of you sat at the bottom of the concrete steps, circling the stage in the middle of the arena.
Facing the gate of the temple, the venue overlooked the cliff and the vast ocean as the backdrop.

It was four thirty in the afternoon, and the sun was still up at the horizon.

Unlike usual, today's show wasn't really packed, which a plus point for you.
Weather was also very nice, not too hot nor raining.

You could see various ethnicity here, from asian, caucasian, and african american.
Bali was where you could really blend into multi race diversity.

"What's the story of the show?"
Jungkook asked you while looking around the arena.

"You have the booklet, you need to read it."

"Why do I have to, when I have you here?"

You hit his shoulder with the paper, he didn't really pay any attention.
Most of the time he would tease you or making dry jokes.

"I'll tell you while we are watching."

The show was opened by around forty five barechested men wearing checked sarong, sitting cross legged on the floor while doing the repetitive chanting that form into rhythmically tunes, accompanying the dancers depicting story of Ramayana.

The dance was derived from an old Balinese ritual called the "sanghyang", in which in its ancient form, it communicated the wishes of the gods or of the ancestors.

While chanting, they would also move their bodies to the left & right. The rhythm was a combination of slow & fast. When it sped up, they raised their arms & hands trembling in the air, rhythmically. No musical instruments were used & the vocal chanting of "Chak Chak Chak" was like an acapella.

The story began with Sita and Rama's exile in the jungle of Dandaka.
The performance reenacted the appearance of the Golden Deer that lured the beautiful goddess into the arm of Ravana, the giant with ten faces who fell for her beauty.
Then followed by the search for Sita by a white monkey-Hanuman, and ended with the battle between Rama and Ravana.