Chapter 59: Together.

T O G E T H E R

———

When I needed you the most you were no where to be found. And that's how I realized it: at the end of the day, the only person to truly have your back is yourself.
~~~

Mal's POV

"WHAT?!" I stood up from leaning on the wall.

"Sshh." She shushed me and peered over our window to make sure no one had heard, though we could barely see anything in the darkness outside. "I'm sorry Mal, but you can't come."

"I 'can't'?! You can't tell me what I can or can't do Hermione. I am going with you. You are not risking your life finding... finding horcruxes without me by your side. That's insane!"

"Mal, come on. You have to go back to Hogwarts." She instructed.

"With Snape as the headmaster and death eaters crawling around the hallways ready to pounce? No way in hell. I am going with you." I defended myself.

"Mal. You have to think about the others. There are so many people in Hogwarts that are in danger, you have to protect them. You and Ginny and Neville and Luna. You four have to help keep Hogwarts as safe as possible. Starting off with the DA."

"Safe is nonexistent now. No one in Hogwarts is safe." I assured her of the sad truth.

"I know that, but you guys are our best chance." She reassured me.

"But I'm your sister." I persisted.

"Exactly. That's exactly why you can't come. If Hogwarts is dangerous, the outside is so much more."

"Exactly why I am going with you."

"Mal. You have to keep the others safe. We can't have students getting hurt or worse: dying in Hogwarts."

"What about you?!" I finally yelled at her, unable to contain the anger I felt at her wanting to do this alone.

"I'll be fine."

"Pfft. Sure. You'll be fine. My bloody brilliant sister will be perfectly fine, it's not like you're going out and facing death eaters, horcruxes, traps, Voldemort, and god knows what else!"

"Mal. It's me. I've got this, and Ron and Harry have always been there to help as well."

"I know that, and I would trust them with my life, but I refuse to trust anyone with yours." Slightly hypocritical? Probably. But still.

"Nothing's going to happen to me."

"You don't know that! You haven't seen what I've seen! I've watched people die in front of me, not a person, people. Plural. I've held my dead owl in my bare hands. I am not running the risk of tonight, or tomorrow, or anytime soon being the last time I ever talk to you."

"Mal. Please." She begged me and I sighed, running my hands through my hair.

"I know. I know I have to stay behind." I finally gave up. "But you better promise me to be brave, not stupid."

"Must I remind you who you're talking to?" She asked me confidently.

"You may have everyone fooled but I know even you can be stupid sometimes." I teased. "Wait a second."

I ran over to Fred's room and opened the drawer in the bedside table he had assigned me, cupping something in my hand and concentrating for a moment before bringing it back to Mione. "Here. Close your eyes and turn around." She did as I instructed and I placed the necklace around her neck, closing the clasp gently. She opened her eyes and ran over to the mirror, admiring it.

"It's just like the one I gave you! Except it's gold. It's beautiful Mal!" She hugged me tightly.

"Open it." I urged her. She did as told and gasped when she saw the same picture she had put in mine, with our family, but on the other side was one of just us, emanating each of our patronus', one that Ginny had secretly taken when we were in training. We were each smiling proudly at how far we had come with our wizarding skills. "Look at the back." She turned the heart around and there, engraved in small letters, was the word Together. Mione smiled and hugged me again.

"It's beautiful, thank you."

"There's something else about it: I charmed it so if you point your wand to it and concentrate on a moment we've had together, I'll be there. Immediately. It's for emergencies, if you are in any type of danger or trouble I can be there in two seconds. Please use it." She nodded understandingly. "One more thing." I opened my other hand and handed her a small bag full of galleons. She looked at it in shock and immediately shook her head, refusing to take it. "Take it. You don't know if you'll need it."

"How did you...?"

"Whenever I would go to the twins store in the summer or on the weekends I would help around the store and I got paid for it. I have more, don't worry. You use it though, you will need it at some point." She nodded in defeat and hugged me one more time.

"Have I told you recently that you're sort of the best?" She smiled at me, tears in her eyes.

"I know, but I like to be reminded." I winked at her and she laughed, blinking her tears away.

We were interrupted by hearing the floorboards crack and immediately ran back to bed to pretend to sleep, after all, Molly encouraged us to sleep early for the wedding tomorrow.

If I would have known that would be our last night together, I would've made you stay up with me. and we would do meaningless, fun things that you always pretend to hate. I didn't know I would miss you so much.

Please come back to me. Please.