Chapter 97

Olly's POV

Mariana's been acting really weird lately... she flinches everytime I hold her thigh. Maybe I'm over thinking it ever since I had that talk with Matt, but I don't know...

I regain focus as I finish packing up my things, it wasn't a lot: dark denim jeans, light denim jeans, black jeans. Two hoodies, a sweatshirt that all go with my work boots aka- black timberlands. And my camera set.

"I know it's gonna be a weird trip out of state, and that you've never been on a plane.. or been somewhere that snows... or been to a place you're not familiar with skateboarding in, but I love you always," my dad pulls me into a tight hug.

"Awww dad," I hold him tighter.

"Another thing," he starts and he looks a little bit more serious.

"My hands are gonna be tied up
Christmas.. you know how it is, everyone is in and out trying to visit their families and they need a tune up to their car. It's the holidays and you've been working hard helping me with the shop, getting good grades and staying out of trouble. Mariana's parents already told me that they're in and out of cities across the globe and they're rarely home... spend your winter break with Mariana, I don't think their daughter should be alone and I know how you care for her. I'll call you if it's serious," he says each and every word without hesitation and never once did he break eye contact.

"Dad, are you sure?" I shared the same glance.

He chinked a smiled and slapped the back of my shoulder, "damnit, I said go spend time with your girl!" He bellowed a laugh and I smiled excitedly. This is perfect for what i have planned for Mariana's Christmas present.

A school bus pulls up to my house and I see the rest of the seniors on board. I didn't pay attention, my eyes somewhat found themselves locked into Nicole's eyes but I blinked away.

"Olllyyyyyyy!" The cheerleaders called and I averted my eyes to them.

A teacher stopped me from walking any further and checked me off the clipboard, "you're sitting up front with Nicole. Last thing we need is this school bus turning into party city," she cuts her eyes at me.

Bahumbug.

I caught a glimpse of Mariana in her cheer uniform and gulped. She winked at me and blew a kiss, complete 180 from what she's been giving me these past few days.

"Two backpacks and one's empty?" Nicole raises her eyebrow with an intrigued smirk. I won't lie, she's still beautiful.

"It won't be empty when we come back, that's for sure," I sat lazily in a comfortable position. I hate riding on school buses, shit makes my back feel like I have scoliosis.

"Hey Olly," her tone changed and she spoke more softly, my heart skipped a little hearing that tone from her.

"Mhm," I continued to look over the seat and out the windshield, watching the cars.

"I need to tell you that it's not your fault," she wraps her pinky around mine without anyone noticing and I gave her my full attention.

What is this? A spark? Unsettled dispute? Do I still love her? Is this love? The brink of closure? I don't know and I'm not sure to trust it. But i can't pull away, and I want too. But I don't want too.

"I have no clue what you're talking about," I softly chuckle and I could feel her flinch.

"You're not a bad person Olly. You have the biggest heart. Last thing I want is for you to beat yourself up over something you're not responsible for," she spoke softly. I quickly then catch on as to what she's talking about.