Finding Them Pt.11

The door opened almost instantly. THe same pink haired man was stood on the other side facing him. He looked Tommy up and down before calling over his shoulder.

     "Phil. There's a child at the door." The man with the white and green hat came over to greet him.

    "You look familiar."

     "No I don't." Tommy defended quickly, "Sorry, it's just have you been looking for a brother of yours as of late?" Tommy's question piqued their interest. "Why don't you come in." Phil motioned him towards the sofa, "Yes, we are looking for our brother. Do you have any information you can give us?" Now is when Tommy would find out just how smart they were. He could only hope they had rocks for brains.

     "Well you see, I think I might be your brother," He said timidly, trying to play his part. Phil looked hopeful. "Alright then, what's your name?"

     "Uh," Tommy had to think quick, "Bert, Bett Lagnouson." His voice wavered slightly. He could only hope that they hadn't noticed.

     "Alright Bert. Would you mind reading this for me?" Phil handed him the fourth scroll. Tommy's heart sank. He didn't know how to read.

     "Yes, obviously." Tommy tried to cover his nerves with confidence, but even he could tell he was doing a poor job. The only thing Tommy could do now was recite the only story he knew. One he memorized when he still lived at the orphanage.

     Techno and Wilbur were both watching him now as well, curious. Once Phil gave him the scroll, he ultimately refused to even look at it, knowing wouldn't be able to understand a word written there. And so he started reciting the story he knew as, "James and the Rabbit."

     "One day, a young boy named James was tending to his mother's garden. In the garden grew carrots, lettuce, and beets. James was proud of his work and couldn't wait to share it with his family. The next day when James came out to tend to the garden he noticed some of his produce missing. He tried to find the culprit but to no avail. James tried to disregard this missing produce as a misscount, but when more was missing the next day he knew something was wrong. There were three options of thieves that could have taken the produce, so he'd set up multiple traps.

     The first trap was medium sized, specific for groundhogs. He had seen them around the garden before, but they had never messed with his things either. The next trap James set up was meant to stop a human. People could be stealing from him seeing as the town was very poor. The last trap James put up was that for a rabbit, the common thief of the town. Once the traps were set up, James hid in a nearby bush. He waited all day and into the night. He sat and watched for the culprit, but soon the weight of his eyelids were too much.

     When he awoke the next morning he checked his traps. His human deterrent was left untouched, as was the groundhog trap. When he went to check the rabbit trap however, low and behold, the thief was caught. "So you're the one that's been stealing from me." James was furious and ready to get his justice. "To atone for your crimes, you will be my dinner tonight." He declared.

     "No! Why would you make a magical rabbit into stew?"

     "A magic bunny? There's no such thing!" James exclaimed. Surely the rabbit was pulling his chain.

     "Oh, but I am," Said the bunny, "Don't cook me tonight, instead let me dine with you. Then you will see just how magical I am." In the end James agreed, if the rabbit was telling the truth it would bring him great fortune.

     After dinner that night James asked the rabbit to show him it's magic. The rabbit replied, "Not yet, you must give me a warm bed to sleep in first. In the morning I will show you my magic." And so James set a warm bed for the rabbit to sleep in. The next morning James asked the rabbit to show him it's magic once more. "Not yet," It said again, " Give me three days worth of hospitality and then I shall show you my magic." And so James gave the rabbit what it requested. On the third day James came to the rabbit and asked it to show him it's magic. "I must rest in my home before showing you. Let me go and when I return I will show you my magic." And so for the last time, James did as the rabbit asked, trusting it to come back.

     Weeks passed and the rabbit never returned. James was upset, he had done everything he was  asked. And yet, in the end he was tricked. From that day on James questioned all requests made of him. Never forgetting getting tricked by the magical rabbit."

     Tommy finished reciting the story, hoping they wouldn't question him. But the men in front of him weren't the stupid ones.

     "Isn't that just the story of James and the Rabbit?"

Hello! wow an update, ten minutes after midnight? I am surprised too. I hope you guys like this chapter because it was a pain in the butt trying to write a fairytale to add into a story.... and my pen that I was using ran out of ink so i have to get more ink. (Im weird and only really like writing with this one type of pen, idk why but it's got the nice ink flowy ness to it and I love it) But yeah, hopefully Ill write more but this last chapter here took a bit more than I was thinking it was going to need. But I do have plans for this story which is something I can't say about literally anything else i've written. 

Also I was thinking about making this it's own seperate entity of a book once I've finsihed writing the entire thing. Do you guys think that would be a good idea? I would only do it after finishing the story in this oneshot book just because then it would be completed by the time i went to do that. Let me know what you think! 

Also thanks again guys! I was not expecting this book to get this much attention but you are all so awesome and I love talking with you in the comments. or just seeing what things you guys think will happen in the story line, and based on those things i might change, adjust or keep what i was originally planning. So yeah thanks again and I hope you all have an awesome day/night! <3