Chapter 3

“Good evening, Sir.” The circular, No. 2 housekeeping robot stretched out its long metal arms at the doorway, blue electronic lights flickering in its eyes like water waves, “How was your day today?”

    Zhuo Xiang Ming hung his briefcase and suit jacket on its metal arm: “Good, how about you?”

    It turned away as soon as it collected the things, broadcasting a short happy jingle as it cheerfully said: “Very good, Sir.”

    There were no partitions on the first floor of the small duplex, you could see the dining room as soon as you walked in. Tong Yan had already stood up from the dining table, and when Zhuo Xiang Ming approached, he politely greeted, “Brother Xiang Ming, you’re back.”

    “Yeah.” Zhuo Xiang Ming said, “Were you comfortable at home today?”

     Tong Yan: “I was comfortable.”

     After briefly looking into Zhuo Xiang Ming’s eyes, he looked towards the kitchen. “The dishes are almost done, you can go wash your hands.”

    He desperately tried to appear nonchalant, but Zhuo Xiang Ming still sensed his anxiety.

    “I was in somewhat of a hurry this morning, so I forgot to tell you.” In order to show proper affability, Zhuo Xiang Ming motioned Tong Yan to sit down, then walked over to him, resting his hand on the back of his chair as he looked down at him. “Xuan Gui has the right to unlock all the rooms in the house, if you need to open a room, just ask it. Umm…it also knows where the car keys are … Have you got a driver’s license?”

    Tong Yan nodded, then shook his head: “I have one, but I haven’t driven yet.”

    Zhuo Xiang Ming: “That’s fine, when school starts, I’ll send… Tong Yan?”

    Tong Yan tilted his face towards him, within a considerably short period of time, a fine layer of sweat had appeared on his forehead. His eyes were shut tight, fanned by extremely long eyelashes.

    Zhuo Xiang Ming quickly realized what was wrong, immediately retracting his hand and backing away, suppressing his pheromones: “Sorry.”

    Tong Yan also got up and walked away, but his legs were unstable, so he tripped over the table’s legs.

    “Be careful.” Zhuo Xiang Ming stepped forward to catch him before he could fall into the table, one hand against Tong Yan’s lower back, the other hand catching his shoulder.

    “Pardon.” He said again, after letting go.

    Tong Yan had already made it to the kitchen doorway. This was obviously a result of Zhuo Xiang Ming’s carelessness, but he somehow looked even more troubled than Zhuo Xiang Ming, repeating: “It’s fine … it’s nothing, this is my problem.”

    This was a bad beginning. Even though Zhuo Xiang Ming didn’t intend to establish a deep relationship with Tong Yan, he still blamed himself for his own carelessness.

    He wanted to keep comforting him, but Zhuo Xiang Ming realized that it would be more effective to take a shower and change his clothes. Most of the employees in his company were alphas, in his current state, standing in front of Tong Yan was equivalent to bombarding him with the pheromones of dozens of people. He headed towards the stairs: “You eat first, I’ll be right back.”

    This happened right before dinner, both of them were a little embarrassed. They no longer tried to force conversation, quietly eating their meal.

    Unexpectedly, the atmosphere after the meal was much better. Only Zhuo Xiang Ming’s own pheromones remained on his body, and he’d suppressed it as much as he could. It was a very light smell of cedarwood, once he was in a soothing mood, there wasn’t the slightest hint of aggression. Tong Yan sat three people widths away from him on the sofa, watching the financial news that was being broadcasted on the super ion screen. Zhuo Xiang Ming was earnestly engrossed, and Tong Yan also slowly followed along.