Chapter 6

Zhuo Xiang Ming was very punctual, he said that he would arrive home at three o’clock at the latest, and at two fifty, the car stopped at the door.

    Tong Yan waited for him with his ears perked, when he heard the sound of the car pulling up, he immediately ran out. When he opened the door, Zhuo Xiang Ming had just gotten out of the car. Seeing him rush out, he halted, keeping his hand on the door, “I was just about to come in and get you, let’s go.”

    Tong Yan nodded excitedly, and said, “Wait! I’ll go get my bag.”

    Zhuo Xiang Ming: “Okay … ah walk, don’t run.”

    Tong Yan’s joyful dash was interrupted by this shout, he stopped and obediently walked to the patio swing. He picked up his backpack, hugged the tablet in the crook of his arm, and held the bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy that Xuan Gui had just foisted upon him. Then he got into the passenger seat.

    Zhuo Xiang Ming was driving back personally. He’d taken off his suit jacket and placed it on the passenger seat. When Tong Yan tried to pick up the clothes, his tablet almost fell down. Zhuo Xiang Ming helped him organize the things in his arms, then leaned over to help him fasten his seat belt.

    This kind of movement brought them very close together, but Tong Yan didn’t even notice until Zhuo Xiang Ming paused, asking when Tong Yan looked at him doubtfully, “This won’t make you feel uncomfortable, right?”

    Tong Yan sniffed, taking in the dense smell of pheromones. There was a strong presence, but it wasn’t aggressive, it seemed as if it would really awaken the memory of a certain snowy morning.

    “It’s not uncomfortable.” He leaned back, leaning his head against the headrest, he raised his face slightly and smiled at Zhuo Xiang Ming. His face was a little red, but there wasn’t much discomfort, “Thank you, brother.”

    Not knowing whether Tong Yan was referring to the soothing pheromones, or fastening his seat belt. Zhuo Xiang Ming moved back into his seat and checked the bolts, saying, “You’re welcome.”

    The back seat was filled with gift boxes, Tong Yan realized that they should be Zhuo Xiang Ming’s visiting son-in-law gifts. He felt a bit ashamed, thinking that his own consideration was a bit lacking, he basically only knew how to eat, drink, and have fun.

    But he didn’t know that when he smiled flatteringly at Zhuo Xiang Ming, he almost looked like a puppy wagging its tail. He’d insist that he was only expressing his apologies, but it was better to say that he was trying to act cute.

    Zhuo Xiang Ming couldn’t help but glance at him a few times. He took his bag and turned to place it on the back seat, thinking that just his phone and wallet would be inside, but when he lifted it, it felt heavier than expected. He asked without thinking: “Why did you bring so many things?”

    Tong Yan swallowed a spoonful of mashed potatoes before replying: “It’s not much, just the things I’ll need, toothbrushes, towels, etc. My dad and brother haven’t been home recently, I reckon that nobody remembered to make up my room.”

    Zhuo Xiang Ming paused for a moment before sighing out an “Ugh”-but the car was started, and the sound was covered up by the sound of ignition, so Tong Yan wasn’t sure if he’d really heard it.

    Xuan Gui came out to send them off, and Tong Yan excitedly waved it goodbye. After the two’s heartfelt goodbyes were over, Zhuo Xiang Ming backed out of the driveway.

    When the drive started, Tong Yan bowed his head and dug into his mashed potatoes. He ate very carefully and cleanly, not fooling around with the bowl and spoonful of food. He ate half of it before he suddenly froze, then asked Zhuo Xiang Ming: “Brother, can I eat in your car?”