Chapter 40

The dentist’s surname was Shen, he’d been responsible for Zhuo Xiang Ming’s teeth since he was eight years old. Tong Yan followed the nurse out. Zhuo Xiang Ming couldn’t go with him and was waiting for him in the office.

  The doctor laughed: “This is the first time I’ve seen him since the wedding. It’s actually been a few months now that I think about it. I see you guys seem to be getting along quite well?”

  He was talking about Tong Yan, who had a routine inspection before the marriage. The two men previously had a few conversations about Zhuo Xiang Ming’s after marriage life. At that time, although Zhuo Xiang Ming didn’t explicitly say anything, he didn’t look very enthusiastic.

  Zhuo Xiang Ming had a tranquil expression on his face: “Still OK.”

  The two talked while waiting for Tong Yan. Most of the conversation was the doctor asking questions, and Zhuo Xiang Ming answering.

  ”It’s still strenuous to raise a teenager.” The doctor said, “But he looks very well-behaved, and doesn’t talk much. If he was rebellious, I reckon things would be even more troublesome.”

  When outsiders describe Tong Yan, most of them used the word ‘well-behaved’, and those that got closer to him would praise his beauty. Zhuo Xiang Ming said: “Yes, but for children, such and such matters are inevitable.”

  Listening to these words that resembled dialogue from an experienced parent, the doctor laughed again: “For example?”

  Zhuo Xiang Ming was quiet for a moment, then said: “For example, growing a wisdom tooth, and not wanting to extract a tooth.”

  The doctor only regarded his complaints as commonplace, then he thought of the chaos in his own home, and put himself in Zhuo Xiang Ming’s shoes, agreeing before asking offhandedly: “I think it’s because he’s afraid of pain, and also afraid of dentists. I explained it quite well just now, but it was useless. What did you tell him? I’ll write it down so I can use it on the next child who’s afraid of a tooth extraction.”

  Zhuo Xiang Ming was sitting in the chair neatly, all throughout the conversation, his expression was serious and his appearance was reticent, but when he heard this question, he fished the pamphlet out from his suit pocket and turned to a particular page, seriously pointing at it for the doctor to see: “He was scared of a future pregnancy being affected, so he agreed to extract it now. Actually, I had nothing to do with it.”

  ”…” In the end, Dr. Shen was in his fifties, he was dazed only for a moment before carefully sizing up the other man’s upright face and finally saying, “Such and such matters? I think Mr. Zhuo seems to be enjoying it.”

  Zhuo Xiang Ming put away the pamphlet and didn’t say another word.

  After returning home, Tong Yan wasn’t in good spirits. He announced that he wanted to sleep, and went upstairs to his bedroom after taking the medicine.

  Zhuo Xiang Ming went to the balcony to collect the sun-basked quilt, then closed the curtains. Turning around, he saw that Tong Yan was already lying in bed, but he was still wearing his coat. His upper body was twisted at a funny angle, his fur collar covering most of his face.

  ”Take off your jacket.” Zhuo Xiang Ming walked over, holding the quilt in one hand and playfully poking at Tong Yan’s cheek.

  Tong Yan brushed his hand away, sliding off his coat exasperatingly slow, and pushing it to the other side of the bed. Zhuo Xiang Ming covered him with the quilt: “Falling asleep?”

  Tong Yan nodded, his eyes struggling to open, he held Zhuo Xiang Ming’s wrist and rubbed against it: “Suddenly really sleepy ah.”

  The painkillers had a soothing effect. Zhuo Xiang Ming patted his face with the back of his hand, lowering his voice: “Go to sleep.”