14

Adrien POV

A week has passed since Jax told me Lana likes me.

It's nothing that I couldn't have put together myself- I just don't think I wanted to.

It's bad enough that her and René have this feud going on between them.

I've done my best to keep them separated this week and have been successful so far.

I'm planning on talking to Lana about the situation today.

I head down to the little dorms and look in her and Iris' bedroom, but she's not there.

I head to the playroom next since that's the only other place she could really be at 11am.

She's not in there either.

I go to look in the food court but get stopped by a phone call.

"Son.", my dad says on the other end. "I need you home, now!"

I rush to the parking lot and get in my car.

My house isn't far from the campus, only a ten minute drive up north.

"What's so urgent?", I ask my father while he's still on the line. "This isn't the type of news one delivers over a phone call."

I hang up and speed as fast as I can to the house.

I'm not usually a dangerous guy but when it comes to family I'll do anything.

I jump out of my car and run into the house.

"What?!", I ask my father out of breath with sweat dripping down my face.

"Son.. they uh..", he smiles. "They found her."

"Who?", my voice breaks.

I know who he's talking about- this can't be happening.

I'm dreaming I just need to wake up.

"They found your mother.", he tells me.

A single tear falls down my face.

"Wh-where?", I stutter.

"In a hospital right outside of Orlando.", he says. "They're transporting her to one in New York now that she's stable."

"Why is she in a hospital, what happened?", I ask my jaw tightening.

"They said she was hit by a car.". he tells me and I don't know how to feel. "But son you should know: she's in a coma."

I don't know how to feel.

I don't know how to feel!

"She doesn't get to just fucking do this!", I say pushing a chair over. "She walks out of our lives for TEN FUCKING YEARS! Misses every birthday, every scraped knee, every girlfriend! My own graduation! And now, she's back on the grid all of a sudden- but in a coma?! No. She doesn't get to come back just to leave me again! She can't do that to me! I can't go through that again!"

I'm sobbing on the floor now and my father is trying to comfort me.

After I calm down, I call René and tell her the news expecting her to be considerate of my situation- but all she does is whine about how I like Lana more than her and that she deserves better than me, so I hang up.

I hate everything about this fucking day.

I tell my dad to call me when he gets word from the hospital and I head back to the campus.

I need to talk to Lana.