-19-

A/N: Heads up, the next few chapters will be a bit plot heavy, but it's just because I'm tying up this introductory arc. And then we'll get back to Emiliano and Luca 🤗

***

"Holy shit. Ho. ly. Shiiiiiittttttt!" Syd was hyperventilating, sitting on the floor of the jet and rocking herself. Tina and Sean looked at her confused while Jeff seemed to feel sorry for her. "Why are y'all looking at me like I'm crazy?" She said when she finally caught her breath.

They were on their way to Miami for the induction ceremony. Tina insisted to the Council that the ceremony be held in a warm place that was still in Davidson territory, so Florida it was. The flight down wouldn't be long and then Syd would only have a few hours before she'd have to meet the rest of the Council and she and Sean would officially take their parent's seats.

"You're having a meltdown right now," Tina chuckled. "Why are you still freaking out? The voting part of the induction is simply a formality. Plus, you've been doing great these past few months. Already got a reputation for yourself."

"What?!" Syd shot up to her feet. "What do you mean a reputation?! Why haven't I heard of this?!" She began pacing up and down the plane. "Fuck!"

Tina and Sean burst out laughing while Jeff couldn't even crack a smile.

"Don't worry, babygirl. It's not a bad reputation..." Tina walked over to Syd and guides her back to her seat across from her. "They're saying you are definitely my daughter!"

"Yeah, sis, I told you you were doing a good job," Sean chimed from beside Syd. "Oliver's been running his mouth about that deal a few weeks back. He may have thought he was fucking with us, but he actually set you up pretty nicely with that shit. Between the way you handled him and how you haven't fucked up a single time since you rejoined the family business, word's gotten around that you're running this shit no problem."

"That's good," Syd breathed, nodding while she looked down with her hands clasped together. She definitely inherited skills from her parents and she mostly channeled her mother when she was playing the role of Simone Davidson. And although she spent 10 years of her life as a civilian, she grew up learning everything about the family business. Her parents first started having her shadow them when she turned 13, so she didn't return completely inexperienced.

"What do I always tell you? You are my daughter, my babygirl," Tina reminded her. "10 years ain't shit, especially for a Davidson. The other folks on the Council might seem like our equals, but always keep in the back of your mind that we were the only family in history to run the entire east coast. We have the most profitable region in our hemisphere and we practically own the two Council members from the rest of the U.S. Girl, you ain't got nothing to worry about." Tina leaned her head back against the seat and took her husband's hand. "Baby, talk to your daughter, because I done told her bout fifty-leven times."

"Simone..." Jeff spoke, his face and tone decorated with concern. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to... Are you sure about it?" He thought back to when she first told them she didn't want anything to do with the lifestyle. She told them that it was too much for her and she didn't want any of the complications or the raw brutality that could come with it at times. Jeff and Tina built their empire to give their children choices they didn't have growing up - they wanted Sean and Simone to truly feel free. So, while it hurt them when their daughter first made her confession, they supported her decision and financed her through college.

"What?" Syd looked at him confused.

"I mean it, you can tell us right now that you don't want to take our seats. Your mom or I can stay on alongside Sean until we figure something out. You don't have to do this unless you are absolutely sure... You know that once you're on the Council, it's truly a commitment - not just to our family business and our region - you'll also have to make decisions as a Council member that impact the entire hemisphere..."

Syd's heart felt heavy as she realized that her father was genuinely giving her one final out from the life and - to her surprise - her mother and Sean didn't seem to object to his words either.

However, what truly had Syd surprised was that she didn't want to back out. Even with the proposition, the idea of walking away from this life again didn't even feel like an option to her. Syd was happy - not only to be back with her family - but also because she was helping her parents maintain all that they had built. They came from absolutely nothing and managed to become two of the most powerful people in the world.

Syd reached out to take Tina and Jeff's hands. "You know... Even though you were constantly drilling into my head the details of the family business and had me shadowing you, I didn't fully appreciate just how much work you put in to build and keep this empire." She shook her head. "I was a dumb ass teenager... Shit, I was a dumb ass adult too," she chuckled. "Honestly, it wasn't until the past few months of being thrown into business with Sean that I've been able to appreciate just how hard you worked to build all of this... and I'm proud. I'm proud to be the daughter of Tina and Jeff Davidson," she gave a warm smile. "Shit, y'all need a docuseries or something."

"So you do want to do this?" Jeff asked, keeping a level tone as not to show his excitement.

Syd nodded. "Happily."

Her words were simple, but they brought joy to Jeff and Tina. What hurt them most when she left was that she seemed ashamed of being associated with them and what they worked so hard to build, so hearing her say that she was proud to be their daughter brought both of them a peace they didn't realize they were missing.

"Iight, pa. You owe me that Jag!"

Syd looked between Sean and Jeff. "Y'all bet on this?!"

"Of course!" Sean responded like it should've been obvious, while Jeff and Tina snickered.

Syd shook her head smiling. "This family..."

+++

A/N: THANK YOU FOR READING.