-23-

A/N: Content warning for body image/diet culture.

After her tattoo session, Syd met up with Char for dinner. The two were already good friends, but they had grown closer after Lali got married and seemed to become less available.

"Oh shit, girl. From what I can see of the outline through that plastic, it's already looking good." Char looked at the work on Syd's arm.

"Thanks! He said three sessions, so I'll have like two more and it'll be complete! Too bad it won't be in time for my birthday, though."

"Girl, don't worry about that! And you said this is one of Emiliano's friends?" She quirked her brow.

"Yeah, it seems like he's one of the closest people to Emiliano other than Luca..."

"And you," Char interrupted. "Y'all seem to be spending a lot of time together, even more time than you and Hector."

"Whatever," Syd shook her head. "It turns out we get along pretty well and agreed to have a platonic friendship - no flirting or sexual advances. That drunken night out a few weeks ago proved we can control ourselves, even though you were trying to set us up."

"Just a few more shots and it would've worked!" Char laughed.

"Stop... Why are you trying to get me to cheat on Hector? We're doing really well." And they were doing well, though tax season had Hector working excessive hours late winter into spring, so Syd would only see him maybe once or twice per week. They'd been discussing moving back in together, but Syd knew it'd make it tougher than it already was to keep her double-life from him. Although she planned to tell him eventually regardless of Sean's objections, she figured the busiest time of year for accountants would be the worst option.

"Because I don't like Hector's bitch ass, but I like Emiliano and he obviously likes you."

"Hector made a mistake, Char, but he's a good guy. Besides, Emiliano doesn't like me like that."

"Girl! Are you serious?"

"I mean... I know he likes me as a friend, but it's not like Emiliano is the relationship type. I mean... We'd fuck and then what? He'd have his fill and then leave me alone. What Hector and I have is actually going somewhere."

Char crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat, shaking her head. "I think you're wrong. The way that man looks at you isn't just about lust. You and Hector have been together for... shit.... Too damn long. And what has he given you other than a broken heart? Why not try something new?"

"So you'd rather me be with a mafioso?"

"I mean..." Char shrugged. "Your brother hangs out with gangbangers and mafiosos and shit and he's fine, surprisingly. I'm surprised they ain't robbed him or nothing, I guess they're actually friends. And so far, the only thing kinda off I find about Emiliano is that he was about to share you with his brother in that hallway when we were in Vegas... But it also sounds kinda hot."

Syd bursted out laughing. "I remember you were screaming when I explained that shit to you. I barely ever see Luca, anyway."

"Because it was wild as hell. I was also low-key mad you didn't at least give it a try before getting back with Hector. Maybe if you did, you wouldn't be back with his punk ass."

"Char..." Syd warned.

"I'm sorry, it's just... Whatever." Char uncrossed her arms and sat back up to look at the dessert menu. She and Syd loved the cheesecake at this spot. "You tryna split some cheesecake," she asked, changing the subject.