-11-

A week after returning from Vegas, Syd was to meet with Sean at their parents' house to talk more about the Ivanov problem.

"Hey, babygirl, how was your trip?" Tina sat on the couch across from her daughter. She was happy that Syd agreed to rejoin the life. Not just because she was taking over the family business with Sean, but because it meant that Tina could see Syd more often and connect with her only daughter.

"It was fun. The girls loved the VIP treatment we got thanks to Sean."

"And the meeting with the Rossi brothers?"

"Oh, that..." Syd averted her gaze momentarily before looking back at Tina. "It went well..."

Tina saw the discomfort in Syd's face. Sean had already told her that Syd did well at the first meeting and that she was trying to make this whole Simone Davidson thing work, but Tina figured it probably wasn't as easy as Syd made it seem. Syd spent what would've been her most important years getting to know their world, running away from it and making the switch from civilian to co-leading a powerful crime syndicate wouldn't be a simple transition. "What's wrong? You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"Yeah," Syd responded, fiddling with her hands. "Being Simone Davidson was easier with the Rossi brothers because we already kind of... met. There were nerves still, but I wasn't paralyzed... not the way I feel when I think about the induction ceremony. All those powerful people... And then me, someone who's a total stranger to them, someone out of place. At least with Sean, they -"

"I'm gonna stop you right there," Tina interrupted. "You're talking like you don't belong there, babygirl. I'll tell you now, you have every right to be there. I know we guilt you about the past 10 years, but we're family, that's what we do," Tina winked playfully. "You are Simone Davidson and you'll be exactly where you belong. Don't let them intimidate you."

"But ma, I'm not like them. They'll smell the civilian on me. What if they decide I'm not good enough to be there? What if I lose your seat before I even take it?"

"No," Tina shook her head. "You're talking like they have a fucking say in the matter. You're taking your rightful seat and if they try to challenge you - which they will - remind them that you're exactly where you belong. Babygirl, I know being in this world as a Black woman, people are constantly questioning your status and you often have to walk on a tightrope when dealing with that, and you'll experience the same thing in our world..."

Syd hung her head at her mother's words. No matter how successful she was a photographer, people still questioned if she deserved her renown and now she had to deal with the shit in both her life as Syd Johnson and her life as Simone Davidson.

"...But the difference is," Tina continued. "You don't need to walk that damned tightrope in our world because you're a Davidson. If they talk shit to you, you can throw it right back and you better throw it right back or you've already lost. Let them know that you are Simone Davidson and there ain't shit they can do to make you back down."

Tina's words encouraged Syd. She sat up in her seat and lifted her head as a smirk came to her face. "You mean I can talk cash shit to these powerful as hell people?"

"Within reason," Tina chuckled. "Don't go out starting a war and shit. But I ain't raise no bitch but a boss bitch," she winked. "You got that?"

"Yeah," Syd nodded assuringly. She thought back to the Simone Davidson she was back in Vegas and felt better about taking on that character, figuring she could keep up with that type of alter ego and own it.

"Is that you, Simone?" Jeff walked into the living room and joined Tina on the couch across from their daughter. "I'm still not used to you being around so often now," he shook his head.