-22-

A/N: Content warning for a minor mention of child neglect.

+++

Several months had passed since Syd and Sean took their parents' seats on the Council and spring had arrived. The Davidsons decided to cut the Ivanov family from their network, though Dmitry continued to collude with Santiago to sabotage their region. While he had made some minor hits to their business, Dmitry was still failing to make an impact large enough for Syd or Sean's seats on the Council to come into question.

Syd came out publicly as Simone Davidson, and as expected, it was only covered on social media and in gossip blogs without turning into a major fiasco. Sean launched his fashion line and work began on a new club, which was scheduled to open on Syd's birthday - her party being the grand opening. Although Syd was supposed to be able to continue her work as a photographer with Sean's business ventures, her availability for shoots was few and far between and she reluctantly accepted that her career was now on the back burner.

Syd analyzed the tattoo stencil on her arm featuring the plans for her new sleeve. It would be a series of different flowers, with black and gray shading. "How many sessions do you think it'll be?"

"Hmm... I'd say about three if we keep them for the same length of time."

Syd nodded. "Sounds good..."

"You ready for this, boss?" Emiliano asked, pulling up a chair and sitting next to her. "You gonna need to hold my hand to get through the pain?"

"Whatever," she scoffed.

"Your sleeve is going to look sick as fuck. Caleb's been doing my tattoos since we were kids." Caleb and Emiliano met soon after he dropped out of school to dedicate himself to the family business and have been close ever since.

"Kids?!?!" Syd turned to him with wide eyes.

Caleb laughed as he filled the ink cap. "He's exaggerating. More like teenagers... He was the first person to let me experiment on him... I had to cover that ugly shit up a few years later when I got better, though."

"It was so bad... But look at your ass now! We use you for all our work." Emiliano beamed. "As if I couldn't look any better, your tattoos only add to this masterpiece." He gestured to himself.

Syd smirked and shook her head. She put her arm on the rest so Caleb could begin his work.

Emiliano remained in his spot at Syd's side as he watched Caleb put the needle to her arm. When Syd slightly flinched, he had the urge to take her hand, but held back.

He and Luca had their own ways of adjusting to Syd being a regular part of their lives as their boss. Luca chose avoidance, while Emiliano was the polar opposite. Instead, he formed a platonic friendship with Syd outside of business. She was one of the few people whose company he genuinely enjoyed and he found her extremely easy to talk to. Syd also realized she and Emiliano's personalities clicked and after setting ground rules against any sexual advances - that Emiliano surprisingly adhered to for the most part - they were able to develop a healthy friendship over recent months.

"So, boss... What made you decide to get this done? Do the flowers mean anything?"

"Well..." She paused and looked forward as if pondering. "Flowers all look so different from each other... Different shapes, sizes, and colors, yet they're all still beautiful. It's kind of like people... Just because someone who looks nothing like you is considered beautiful, it doesn't mean you can't be considered beautiful as well."

Syd let out a chuckle. "Damn. When I say it aloud, it sounds kinda corny."

"I don't think it sounds corny," Emiliano assured. "It's mostly true... But, you have to admit... there are some ugly motherfuckers out there no matter how you turn it."