Mothers

I'm going to write in Charlottes PoV so you can all get a background to her character :)

Charlottes PoV

I was sat in my small room in my university halls of residence sewing some garments together for Katie McGrath's new acting project.

I was a huge fan of Katie and had been since Merlin first aired and had purposefully watched her in everything she starred in and all her interviews.

When I was told I was going to be an intern for Vivienne, who was my costume design idol, I was shocked beyond belief but when i found out that i'd be designing and making Katie's costumes, I was even more shocked and did physically pass out.

I was i my own thoughts whilst sewing until I heard my phone start ringing, I reached over to see who was calling and my face immediately fell.

'Mother'

I picked up the phone and didn't even plaster a smile on my face, she didn't deserve my fake happiness.

"What is it mother?" I asked, not wishing for any small talk.

"We scheduled a meeting today, you didn't show up. You're still my daughter whether we want you or not." She wasn't holding back today but I couldn't care less.

"What makes you think i'm going to see you, i'm 20 now and living my own life, is it necessary that i remind you that you're abusive and had your custody of me removed when i was 16 and still doing gcses? So you're only a part of my life because i still like my sister." I explained my logic once again and she proceeded to snap.

"You never acted like this when your father was still alive. What makes you think you are allowed to treat me this way, i'm still your mothe Lottie." She scolded and i just laughed sarcastically.

"Don't call me that." I stated coldly, yet with no aggression in my tone.

"Why not, it's what I called you when you were a kid." She was really starting to get on my nerves but I knew if i ever wanted to see my little sister, Amy, then I'd have to stay civil.

"No, it's what you and Dad used to call me, but he died and you changed for the worst, now can i talk to Amy please?"

My sister was 6 years younger than me, which made her 14 at the moment and due to the long battle between my mother and I, she wound up still in her custody until I was in full time employment or in a stable relationship with somebody who was, that was the main reason I was an intern for Vivienne, in a hope for a full time job in the Summer.

"Sorry, no, she's busy." Her cold tone rang through the phone again and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, is that all then mother?" I asked and wasn't even graced with a reply, just the painful noise of the dialling tone.

I put my phone back in the desk and continued sewing, feeling warm droplets drip down my face and pool on the garment beneath me.

"Shit." I cursed as i tried to blot the water on the cloth, not wanting to leave a mark or have to start over.

I decided to go for a walk and clear my mind as i let the tear marks on the dress dry and pulled on my beige coat and black hat. I slipped my heeled boots on and set off out onto the campus.

I was walking around, admiring the nature. Nature was what influenced me to major in costume design, it gave me inspiration constantly, it's why i never left my flat without my sketchbook in my handbag.

I took a seat at the edge of campus near a small woodland area I had fallen in love with and began sketching. I had loved art and drawing since a child, it had always been an escape for me and still was. Sketching was what got me through my dads death and my mothers abuse.

I had sketched until my hand felt limp and looked down to smile with pride at what i'd produced.

One of the main reasons i chose to apply to this university was because when I went on a tour, the campus and I really spiritually connected and I knew it was going to be somewhere I could escape from my own mind

I decided to pack my pencils and sketchbook back into my bag and continued with my walk until i felt the bitter air slap against my face.

I began walking back towards my flat and met Eliza outside the building.

I had known Eliza since we were 8 and she's the whole reason I'm still alive today after everything that happened with my mother and losing my dad.

I lived with Eliza for a year back home and then we moved to the same university, not to follow one another but because we both have very similar aspirations.

Eliza and I decided to wander over to Tesco and get a meal deal, we more or less lived off of them, along with noodles.

We walked back, Monsters in hand, dancing under the streetlights, hair blowing in the cold wind but the warmth from each other reduced any cold from the winter air.

Eliza and I had never dated, we both liked girls but saw each other far too like sisters to ever date each other. We very frequently got mistaken for a couple but both dismissed it with a genuine smile and laugh.

Eliza had a long term girlfriend, Alice, who i dearly loved like a sister aswell but she was at a different university and only visited on weekends.

On the other hand, i'd had a few shorter term girlfriends but nothing substantial, something I really wanted, needed, to change.

We eventually traipsed back into the flat, way past our curfew and stumbled into our rooms. We never drank alcohol or anything like that, our parents taught us that lack of control lesson from a young age.

Eliza and I shared a small flat within a larger, all girls, halls of residence. Most of the girls were very prim and proper, a majority from private schools and then there were us, two damaged public schooled kids trying to make a living for themselves.

I had to be on set with my idol early tomorrow and it was already 2am but as long as J didn't make a bad impression, it wouldn't be a stressful day at all, just a fun one.

The pair of us climbed into our double bed, we enjoyed each other's warmth and company and it was nothing but sisterly.

I had gradually been conditioned to only be able to fall asleep in someone's arms and I would often have panic attacks that if Eliza left me, i'd never be able to sleep again.

Luckily for me, Eliza promised never to leave me, not until i found someone who loved me and would treat me as well as she would and with that comforting thought, i drifted off to sleep, preparing for the day I had with my idol later.