Home Sweet Home

Charlottes PoV:

She forgave me.

Well she didn't forgive me, but she still loves me.

I pulled away from her lips as the doctor coughed to alert us of his presence.

"So... I think my point still stands in that your girlfriend will have to stay with you if I discharge you." He looks over to Katie and I nodded ferociously.

"I'm never leaving her side again." I assured and he nodded, handing me a paper to sign before giving it to Katie.

"You're her support system now Miss Davis... do what's best for her and use your judgement." He smiled before handing Katie a bag of her clothes that had been cleaned.

"Did we come here in an ambulance?" She raised her eyebrow as she began to change.

"Uh... yeah." I considered the question, unsure whether i'd answered incorrectly, despite it being honest.

"So, how are we getting back?" She laughed, wincing and clutching her stomach in moderate pain and discomfort.

"I mean, I can call a taxi? That's what Andrea has been doing for me all day." I let out a low laugh.

"You spoke to her?" Her Irish accent becoming very prominent.

"Of course I did... shes my cousin." I laughed, as if it were obvious.

"You're forgetting I gave you her number. Even when you hated me, you did what would make me the happiest." She smiled, pulling over her jumper.

"I was wearing this when we were in Cornwall, we've had a whole break up and near death experience since then." She joked and I playfully rolled my eyes.

"And I hated every second of it." I offered my hand and she took it with a smile.

"So... how exactly did you find me?" She asked as we walked carefully out of the hospital, to wait for the taxi I'd called, to arrive.

"Well, I knew the code to the gate and your address. Then Andrea informed me that the producer on set would have a second key to your house. So I went to see ginger nut and there was some tension but he finally came with me and unlocked the door, which is when we found you in... that state." I outlined and she nodded.

"Okay... but ginger nut?" She laughed with an eyebrow raised.

"I don't like him very much. He likes you a lot though." I shrugged and she rolled her eyes.

"Sometimes, I utilise myself good looks to keep my male predatory bosses on my side, it doesn't mean I like them." She assured and I nodded as the black taxi halted in front of the double doors.

We raced at a relatively steady pace out to the cold and back into the warmth, in the safety of the vehicle.

"That was freezing." I groaned and she sighed heavily.

"You should have brought your coat then." She tutted.

"I wasn't quite thinking about keeping warm when I saw your limp body strew across your kitchen." I explained and I saw her nod out of the corner of my eye.

"Fair enough... sorry again about that." She apologised and I shook my head.

"Don't apologise, you didn't have any intention of getting hurt, you just wanted to suppress and hide your heightened emotions." I analysed.

"You're always so right Char." I laughed in reply, unsure how to verbally respond.

The car halted again and I opened the door, allowing Katie to exit.

I placed £15 through the window and smiled with gratitude.

I input the passcode into the gate and walked over to Katie, crouching in front of her.

"On my back, you're not walking anymore." I demanded and she laughed, grabbing my shoulders and hoisting herself onto my back.

We erupted into a fit of laughter as I half sprinted half stumbled up the driveway.

As Katie practically slipped off my back as we reached the steps, the realisation fully dawned on me.

I wouldn't be able to live a life without Katie.

I wasn't somebody who defined themselves as dependent but I realised now, even in the absence of my sister, living with anyone else was like drowning but with Katie, it was like coming up for fresh air.

Her feet firmly settled on the floor and she rested her head on my shoulder as she unlocked the door.

"Home Sweet Home." I smiled as we both tumbled into the kitchen area.

Katie gasped audibly and I looked over at her, my eyes following her trajectory.

"Oh my god. Why didn't they clean this up? Ginger nut was literally begging to 'be of assistance' but he couldn't even mop the floor." I exploded and Katie turned to face me, comfortingly placing her hands on my arms.

"It's fine.... I'm sure it was more gruesome when there was a human you loved amongst it all." Katie tried to lighten the mood with humour, a coping mechanism she had evidently adopted from me and it made me smile.

"Okay, are you safe getting upstairs and into bed? I'm going to clean this mess up and I'll bring you some tea and a hot water bottle for your stomach." I proposed and she nodded, ambling cautiously to the stairs, depending on the bannister to reach her destination.

I found the mop and cleaning supplies in the storage cupboard and began cleaning the woman i love's blood from the kitchen floor.

It was evident that the blood had been pooled here for about 24 hours. I'd taken up a job cleaning for the police force for a few months, as I was relatively desensitised to everything.

Therefore, I knew what I was looking at. It was devastating that I'd taken so long to get to her. I shouldn't have left her in the first place.

I didn't know she was so vulnerable when left alone.

I'm never leaving her again.

I promised to myself that I would stay by her side forever, through thick and thin, just as if we were married.

Married...