The Waiting Game

Charlottes PoV:

I held Katie close to me, refusing to let go of her limp body.

Aaron was trying to push me aside but my knees dug firmly into the floor, my grasp around the brunette rigid.

"Is she dead?" He asked and I shook my head vigorously.

Eliza had already picked my phone up and was calling an ambulance. I wasn't letting go until they arrived.

A siren could be heard increasing on our proximity so Eliza ran down to the front of the drive and opened the gates.

The paramedics rushed inside and I backed off of the brunette, not wanting to be an inconvenience.

Not wanting to stay and watch the events unfold, I traipsed up to Katie's room and flopped onto the bed, curling up under the duvet.

I sobbed quietly onto the pillows, absorbing her scent as I did.

What if she was going to die?
Why was i so selfish?
I didn't have to hurt her.
I shouldn't have left.
Why did God do this to me?
What had happened to her?
Can i even live a life without her?

The intrusive thoughts consumed my head as I grabbed onto the duvet with all my strength, trying to distract myself.

I heard soft footsteps tiptoe up the stairs and knock lightly on the door.

I hated that there were other people in Katie's house. Eliza is my best friend but it feels intrusive that she's in here.... and Aaron should just move to Spain, without the S.

"Come in." I mumbled, my voice muffled with tears.

Eliza pushed the door open gently and padded across the carpet to sit on the floor next to me.

"She's going to be ok... they're taking her to the hospital... they need to stomach pump her and she's got a head laceration that needs stitches and a neurological exam because they suspect it might have encroached on her brain and if it has..." Eliza explained what the paramedics had informed her and I finished her sentence.

"Then she'll have a contusion and would need emergent surgery." I had taken a medical course in the summer after I'd finished school and had an interest in neurosurgery but I realised my true passion was the arts not the sciences.

"Are they taking her now?" Vulnerability filled my voice and manner.

Eliza nodded and offered her hand, which i took graciously and pulled myself to my feet.

"They said they'll let one person in the ambulance with her." Eliza smiled and I slapped her playfully across the face.

"You should have led with that idiot. Now ginger cat is going to go with her." I raced down the stairs to see a paramedic lifting a frail Katie into her arms.

"Which hospital are we going to?" I asked the paramedic and she raised her eyebrow.

"And what are you to this woman?" She pushed and I placed my hands on my hips.

"I'm the girlfriend." My tone was curt, replicating hers.

"But... he just claimed to be her boyfriend." Her eyebrows raised in confusion and my face flushed with anger.

"He's the producer of her TV show... i'm the girlfriend. It's literally in her phone, I'm her emergency contact and I know I am." I edged closer to ginger cat as he visibly sank backwards.

"We couldn't find her phone." They admitted and I laughed softly.

"It'll be in the living room." I explained and walked into the living room, her phone being on the coffee table next to an empty tex mex selection and doritos.

I took the phone back into the kitchen and opened her lock screen and found her emergency contacts.

My name was clearly labelled at the top of the list, alongside her parents and brothers.

"Ginger cat... where's your name on here?" My voice was bitter, laced with jealousy.

"Ok.... Miss Davis, I'm assuming your friend will have told you what we know, Ill explain our expected course of treatment in the ambulance." The paramedic informed, now smiling.

I nodded my head, following them to climb into the back of the ambulance, waving at Eliza as the doors closed.

The ride to the hospital was eventful in itself, Katie coded, prompting the confidence that she did have a brain bleed.

The vehicle pulled into the back of the hospital, a different entrance from the last time we had been here.

They rushed the brunette inside and I was instructed to stay in the waiting room, something I did immediately yet reluctantly.

I opened my phone again and called Andrea. It was 6pm which meant it was 10am there, I assumed she'd be in work but was mistaken.

"Hello... is she ok?" Andreas voice was filled with concern.

"Suspected haemorrhage and she was evidently drunk, they need to pump her stomach to get the alcohol out of her system, she hit her head as she fell, it's not looking good but it's hopefully not too bad." I explained and Andrea sighed.

"Where are you now?" She asked.

"Waiting room of the hospital, she's in an emergency room with some doctors." I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them.

"Ok... how long did they say it would be?" I shrugged my shoulders, despite this being invisible to the blonde.

"They said they'd inform me as soon as they had something to say." I explained and lay my head back slightly to rest on the wall behind me.

"Hopefully that's not a long wait." Andrea assured and I sighed frustratingly.

Andrea and I stayed on the phone for a few hours, not really talking but enjoying the company. Andrea was evidently upset that she couldn't be in the same country as her close friend so this was the closest she'd get.

"I've been told to inform a Miss Davis about a patient." An elder doctor emerged from the room and my dreary eyes snapped up to face him.

"That's me! How is she?" I asked, trying to reduce the amount of enthusiasm evident in my voice.

"She had a contusion that we have eliminated and controlled. The alcohol is out of her system and her liver is in the clear... for now. We need to keep her in overnight for observation but she should be okay to go home tomorrow. Does she have a sufficient support system?" He explained and I contemplated the question in my head.

"She has me, but she is only in England for work, her family is in Ireland and most of her friends are in America." I outlined the generic composition of her support system.

"Ok, well you are the emergency contact so I'll let you stay with her tonight.... she should wake up in an hour or two, she'll be a bit out of it, and in a lot of pain.... but she'll still be the girl you knew before." He assured and I refrained from squealing with excitement.

I still had Andrea on the phone in my headphones and she was audibly squealing with relief and I smiled.

"Thank you so much doctor." I reflected my gratitude and he rubbed my shoulder comfortingly.

"Thank you for getting to her in time, that haemorrhage was likely to be fatal but you used your problem solving skills to get to her in time. Future paramedic there." He complimented and I smiled sheepishly.

"You go to crazy lengths for the person you love, I'm sure you understand that." I smiled and walked into the patient room Katie had been moved into, taking a seat in the chair next to her bed, smiling as I saw her looking a little stronger.

okay this is the worst chapter i've ever written so i'm so sorry about that, my vocab just isn't it today