Woodland Trees

Charlotte's PoV:

I was getting ready for work and as it was January, I knew I had to wear Kati- my new coat. I threw on a relatively plain ad basic outfit on, in the form of blue jeans and a burgundy jumper. I slipped on my favourite boots and grabbed my burgundy beanie.

It was dark when I left my building and I frowned, I knew Katie wouldn't be available to give me a lift since she was working, which meant I had to walk

As always, I decided to cut through the woodlands just off the side of campus because it was significantly quicker. It was too dark to see properly so I was using my phone as a flashlight to see the path in front of me. I kept walking until I felt a sharp edge impale my leg.

I winced in pain as my hand shot to my leg, where I found a sharp tree branch embedded into my flesh.

"Shit!" I exclaimed as I slipped my phone into my back pocket and brought my other hand to the branch.

I knew I had no other choice except to pull it out but I knew it was about to hurt like a bitch. I swept the side of my coat around the other side of my body, to ensure I didn't rip it so soon after being blessed with it and placed both hands around the side of the branch.

I counted to three in my head before pulling it out in one smooth movement. I refrained from screaming as I didn't want to attract attention or possibly scare someone into thinking something bad was happening so i just bit down on my lip until I felt the warm metallic taste fill my mouth.

I threw the branch onto the floor and retrieved my phone from my pocket, this time using the flashlight to examine the wound. The gash was relatively deep but I wasn't going to go home, we had a first aid kit on set, I'd address it there.

I practically limped through the rest of the woodlands as I used my other hand to hold my phone but when I emerged out of the darkness and into the light, I knew limping would attract too much attention, so I just extended my leg and winced every time I took a step, praying no cars came past. The likelihood of a car driving past was very unlikely as the road was very desolate since it only lead to the university so I had a high probability of making it to set without anybody driving past me.

Luckily, the odds were in my favour for about the first time ever because I saw the building that I knew I'd be able to find comfort in and nobody else had crossed my path. I cut around the back of the building, so I saw as few people as possible and almost sprinted into my office area, where I was met with a gasp from Vivienne.

"Charlotte what happened!" She almost squealed and I just shook my head frantically.

"Just tell me where the first aid kit is, Ill be fine." I remarked, panting heavily from the long and painful journey I had encountered.

Vivienne arrived shortly after with a first aid kit and pushed me gently to sit on her chair as she disinfected and bandaged up my leg.

"Care to tell me what happened?" She raised an eyebrow and I sank back further into the seat.

"I was walking here and it was dark and I couldn't see a sharp branch teetering off the edge of a tree, I walked into it and it impaled into my leg." I explained and she shook her head in what I assumed to be defeat.

"Teenagers these days, where were you that you encountered such a tree?" Her eyebrows raised in curiosity again and my vision became directed to the floor.

"I take this shortcut everyday and I guess this time it was too dark to judge properly. Usually if its dark Miss McGrath gives me a lift but today she was on set when I wasn't." I brought my eyesight to be level with Vivienne's again as I saw her frown.

"You should have called her anyway, she left set to check on you last night, you may think it was to get your opinion on the promo outfits but her mind was focussed on you from the moment she walked in her, shed have come and picked you up, it was only a 10 minute round trip." Vivienne's smile radiated through the room and I nodded, I knew that she was probably right but nonetheless I'd have felt guilty putting Katie out of her way for me again.

Before I could think another thought I heard the door open behind me, followed by another audible gasp.

"Charlotte what happened?" Her Irish accent soothing my nerves immediately whilst her anxiety heightened.

"I was walking here and a tree got impaled in my leg, its nothing." I turned to face her with a smile and she shook her head in fear.

"How deep is it?" She asked and I did a gesture with my hand that demonstrated very small but Katies eyes were focussed above my head and behind me towards Vivienne.

"It was quite deep, I suggest you have a look because I just cleaned and bandaged it but I don't know if it requires stitches." Vivienne explained her assessment and i just sighed as Katie crouched down in front of me and undid the bandage.

I was expecting her hands to be warm but they were icy cold, similarly to her eyes as she touched my bare skin and traced around the wound.

"Charlotte this is not a small cut, surely its hurting like crazy?" Katie asked, her eyebrows both raised yet with a soft tone.

"It hurt most when she cleaned it." I assured as I gestured towards the elder woman who had retreated slightly to the back of the room.

"That means it was getting infected, that's even worse." I rolled my eyes because I couldn't seem to win this argument as Katie wrapped the bandage tightly around my leg again, causing me to wince.

"Are you ok?" She asked, her eyes radiant with alarm and I nodded in response.

"You just wrapped it tighter than Vivienne." I smiled reassuringly and she nodded.

"Ok, well you aren't doing anything else today except sit there with your leg elevated, I need to get back to filming and then the minute I'm done, I'm taking you home." Her voice echoed with authority and I nodded in agreement.

"Yes boss." I laughed softly and she chuckled too.

She stood up slightly and pecked me lightly on my lips, causing electricity to course through my body before she left again without a word.

"What was that?" Vivienne asked with a knowing look and I blushed.

"Quite frankly I don't know but I hope its not nothing." I smiled and lifted my leg up to rest on the chair in front of me, the pain no longer bothering me.