Claustrophobia

This chapter was a request from Marion_Bdd

Katie's PoV:

I'd had a full day of lectures and it was now 4pm. I had to be on set for half past and knew Charlotte would already be there.

We had had a conversation earlier, after the lecture, and it was clear that we both wanted something serious out of this.

I wasn't sure if she only wanted to use me for her sister but somehow I believed that she really liked me, and I was more than happy to be used if it meant I got to spend more time with her.

I drove over to set and parked in my usual parking spot before walking into the building.

"Parcel for you Miss McGrath." Rory, our secretary, placed a medium sized box on the desk in front of him.

I smiled politely and took the box before walking to my dressing room.

I placed the box down and grabbed some scissors, slicing open the tape that kept the box sealed and it's products safe from the dangers of the outside world.

I opened up the box to find two beanies, one in white and the other black. They both matched the style of the one I had "borrowed" off of Charlotte and I smiled, holding them close to my chest.

I put the hats into my handbag and put it on the side before walking over to Charlottes office.

I knocked twice before entering and saw Vivienne and Charlotte laughing.

"Hey you two." I smiled as I entered and Charlotte turned to look at me, radiating the room with her smile.

"Hey babe, did you get your present?" She asked with a smile and I nodded.

"I love them... so much." I walked and sat on the floor next to her chair.

"Why are you on the floor?" Charlotte asked with a giggle and I shrugged.

"Wanted to be closer to you but didn't want to find a chair." I admitted and she stood up.

"Sit there and I'll sit on your lap." She demanded and I giggled, doing as she asked.

She sat down on me and I wrapped my arms around her waist, letting her adjust to be comfortable.

We sat like this, the three of us talking amongst ourselves until Vivienne instructed Charlotte that they had to do a fitting for one of my colleagues.

"Can you grab the navy blue embellished fishtail dress please and bring it down to 472 in a few minutes?" Charlotte asked, her arms full of costumes and fabrics.

I nodded and Vivienne piped up, "Don't let the door close on you."

The pair left and I stood up to get the dress they were describing.

I propped the door open with the chair I had previously been sat in and walked into the cramped room.

My breath hitched in the back of my throat and I shook my wrists in an attempt to stabilise my anxiety.

I searched around the room and costume rail, attempting to find the dress I had been described.

After about 5 minutes of searching, I found the dress I had been trying to pinpoint and lifted the hanger off of the metal.

I smiled triumphantly until I heard a scraping friction noise.

"My head snapped around to look at the door as I saw the chair move away from its position next to the door.

I leaped to try and hold the door open but I was marginally too late as I heard the 'clunk' as my brain realised I was now trapped.

My claustrophobia had always been a large part of my life and I had even gone to the extent of getting therapy for it as it had affected my ability to board an aeroplane and occasionally drive.

I slid down the wall adjacent to the door and tried to stabilise my breaths, they came out raspy and hollow and my hands were trembling with fear.

I closed my eyes and mentally transported myself to my 'happy place'. I have used this technique since I was young as it helped trick my brain into feeling safer than I was.

I kept using all the different techniques I had been using to try and keep myself grounded but my mind kept running away from me and my anxiety level began to increase even more.

I curled into a ball, laying the dress down next to me, hyperventilating and shivering.

I tried to make myself as small as possible, if you're small, the world can't hurt you, right?

I focussed on my breathing, that was my priority because it would keep me alive and the panicking would kill me, not the tight space.

I kept focussing on keeping myself grounded until I heard the door unlock on the other side and felt two strong arms wrap around me.

"It's okay, you're ok." Charlotte whispered and my breathing stabilised.

She unwrapped her arms from around me and I turned to face her.

"You're claustrophobic." She stated and I nodded timidly.

"I'm sorry I made you go in here, I'm sorry for all the hugging as-well, I doubt that helps. She rambled and I looked directly into her azure eyes.

"No.... it's fine. I've been severely claustrophobic since I was a child and it's debilitating on occasion but I'm overcoming it." I explained, the tone in my voice stabilising.

"Ok... so the hugs aren't too much?" She asked, clearly concerned and I shook my head.

"No, i'm fine, you mean more to me than my claustrophobia, whatever makes you happy, makes me happy." I smiled and took her hands in my own.