Pools of Fire

Katie's PoV:

I hated not having someone sleeping next to me. It wasn't something I thought i'd enjoy, let alone depend on.

Work had been tense, everyone on set knew about our 'relationship' and Id had to tell everybody that there wasn't any relationship anymore.

I'd driven home in the dark, shivering from the cold as I'd forgotten to bring a coat amongst all the drama this morning.

I unlocked my front door and threw my handbag aggressively at the floor before uttering a stream of curses.

I wasn't someone to usually get angry, I classed myself as a relatively calm and happy person but this had really gotten under my skin.

I was angry at nobody in particular, well except Charlottes mother and Elliott.

I was frustrated that my relationship had collapsed within 6 hours of having the best day of my life, and i'd walked down red carpets.

Everything had happened so quickly, it all got ripped away from my grasp before i'd fully held onto it.

I grabbed a gin glass and a bottle of red, pouring it all out carefully to settle at the brim.

I padded into the living room, grabbing some doritos and tex mex on the way. I was still in my pyjamas as I didn't have the energy to change this morning as I got changed directly into my costume.

I set my wine and dinner on the coffee table before turning on the TV and opening Spotify, selecting my 'Track 5' playlist.

I had finished my playlist as well as my wine so I traipsed into the kitchen to find another bottle.

I sat back on the sofa and put an episode of Greys Anatomy, finishing another, and then another bottle of wine.

I was now stumbling around my house, pouring and mixing some of each of the different bottles in my alcohol fridge.

Some of the mixtures were nicer than others but eventually my vision begin to cloud and they just burned my oesophagus and gathered in my stomach, like pools of fire.

I kept drinking and mixing until my muscles began to weaken and tears streamed down my cheeks.

I grabbed onto the counter to try and stable my balance but it was no help, my weight gave way and I slipped onto the floor, dizziness consuming me as I fell.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Charlottes PoV:

My alarm echoed throughout the room and I pulled my eyes open.

"Morning Charlie." A familiar voice graced my ears and I smiled, sitting upright.

"I've missed you." I mumbled groggily and felt arms wrap around my frail frame.

"I'm sure I missed you more, you had Irish queen Katie McGrath by your side." Eliza pulled away and I began to sob uncontrollably.

I didn't know the tears were falling until my breathing became raspy and my lips were bathed in salt.

"What happened?" Eliza asked comfortingly once my breathing had steadied.

"I ended things with Katie." I didn't have the energy to explain anything but I wasn't going to omit the truth from my best friend.

I shakily brought myself to stand and practically fell into the bathroom where I tried to make myself look slightly presentable.

After tidying myself up a little I walked into my wardrobe, trying to find something comfy that would represent my mood.

I settled on ripped jeans and a black t-shirt, alongside my Docs. I pulled a brush through my hair before pulling on my coat... Katie's coat.

The tears began to fall again as I picked up my handbag and Eliza took my hand soothingly in her own, squeezing it softly

We began walking to our lecture, Eliza reassuring me that it would be fine as Katie didn't have to personally address me at all.

We arrived at the theatre department, late as usual and painfully dragged our heels to the lecture theatre.

Upon opening the door, I was bewildered when I saw nobody sat at the desk in the front of the theatre.

Eliza and I shared puzzled glances as we put our bodies fully into the room and looked around the theatre to see many other confused faces, either scrolling on their phones or whispering.

"Where is she?" My voice echoed off the walls and ceiling as everybody shrugged in response.

"Nobody's heard from her, she hasn't set any work either." One girl informed and I was now even more confused.

"Has she been fired? You'd know Charlotte, you are dating her after all." The boy who'd interrupted us before chimed.

I shook my head before promptly setting him in his place. "We aren't together anymore."

Gasps erupted from the theatre as I walked over to the desk. There was no evidence that anybody had been to the desk since before Katie and I had disappeared.

I ignored the sense of dread and guilt filling my stomach as I sat in her chair, logging into the system.

Katie had informed me of her credentials when I had needed to print something before, when our relationship was stable and secret.

I scrolled through the hundreds of unanswered emails to see that none of them had been opened.

I checked the sent emails and there hadn't been any, she hadn't quit and she also hadn't been fired.

Her absence was unexplainable and the rest of the class assumed so as well.

"Look i'm going, I have better places to be." One voice resonated and was complimented with groans of agreement.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and opened up our text chain.

C: Where are you Katie?

Everybody slowly left the theatre and it was eventually just two girls i'd never spoke to, who were using the time to study, alongside Eliza and myself.

I'd waited 20 minutes before texting the brunette I'd once cared for again.

C: KATIE! Answer your messages.

20 minutes passed again, no response.

This time I chose to call her contact, the dialling tone simultaneous with my heartbeat.

No answer.

My heart began to race, where was she?

I texted her again.

C: Seriously, I'm getting worried. Text. Me. Back.

I sighed and slammed my phone onto her desk, Eliza perching on a desk in front of me.

"She'll be fine." She assured, her voice laced with uncertainty.