Continental Collaboration

Charlottes PoV:

I'd waited at least an hour and there was no response. I refused to leave where I was seated until I heard something from or about Katie. My phone didn't make another alert for 32 minutes since I texted Katie last.

I grabbed my phone, my heart sitting painfully in my throat. I turned the screen over to face me and read the message displayed on my screen, sighing as I did so.

A: I've heard a lot about you too, I never thought I'd have the chance to reconnect with you, not until you and Katie got together <3.

I frowned and texted her back, praying her answer would be yes.

C: Have you heard from her in the last 24 hours?

Her response was immediate and heightened my anxiety level.

A: No, not since I told her the paparazzi had caught on. Why???
C: Um... that's a long story. Can I call you?
A: I think that would be a good idea.
*Incoming call*

I picked up the phone and my voice shook as I spoke. "Hi."

"Charlotte. Pleasure to hear your voice." The unfamiliar American accent filled my ears.

"The pleasure is all mine, you are the famous actress after all." I forced a laugh as she cleared her throat.

"Ok... so you have some things to tell me?" She cut straight to the chase and I nodded, despite the fact she couldn't see that.

"Yeah... um. So. Sorry... this is really hard for me right now." I rambled and she laughed softly and cutely.

"Don't worry, it'll be okay. I can put you on facetime if that would help? I can read your facial expressions and it might be easier for you?" She asked and I mumbled in a desperate agreement.

Suddenly the dialling tone filled my ears again, this time displaying a facetime call, I accepted and placed my phone to lean against Katie's computer monitor.

"Where are you exactly?" The blonde asked and I looked behind me.

"Uni." I answered and she nodded.

"So, you last heard from Katie before all the kerfuffle. I'd say about fifteen minutes after she texted you, her and I broke up." I began but was interrupted by a gasp from the blonde on the screen in front of me.

"Yeah... um... your aunt isn't the nice person she pretends to be. If she found out, it wouldn't end well.... and now i'm pretty sure she knows so if she does, I need to be able to tell her that i'm not dating a celebrity." I explained and Andrea nodded skeptically.

"So, that happened and she drove me to work, that was when she shared your contact with me, before going into set and not uttering another word to me. I then didn't see her all day and this morning, I arrived at the lecture theatre and.... well.... she isn't here." Andrea gasped again and I sighed in defeat.

"Nobody's heard from her, I've logged into her emails and she hasn't received or sent any that would explain her absence. I've texted and called a bunch of times but I haven't heard back from her at all." My panic was visible across my face and in my voice.

"I'll text her and call her now." Andrea informed and I nodded, the screen displaying 'paused'.

"Try not to let your fears carry you away here Charlie." Elizas voice now filled the room and I nodded, looking up at her as a single tear slid down my cheek.

"If something happened.... it's my fault. I'm the one who's left her in this state, I should have been with her the entire time. I shouldn't have left her." The tears were now falling in a steady stream and I began to hyperventilate.

Andreas face flashed back onto the screen, followed promptly by a string of compliments and soothing words.

I grounded myself before looking back at my phone, Andrea smiling.

"I haven't heard anything back from her yet... have you got a key to her house? You could go and see if she's there?" The blonde suggested and I shook my head no.

"You know where she lives though Charlie. We can knock on the door, see if anyone responds." Eliza piped up and I looked up at her.

"Who's that?" Andrea asked and I gestured for Eliza to come and show her face.

"Eliza meet Andrea, Andrea meet Eliza. Andreas my cousin, Elizas my best friend." I introduced the pair as they mumbled greetings.

"She's smart. You should go round and see if she answers, if she doesn't... then we'll reconsider." Andrea agreed and I nodded too.

"Who's gonna drive us there. It's a long way from anywhere." I asked and Eliza shrugged her shoulders.

Neither of us had learnt how to drive, we didn't feel safe enough to be in control of a vehicle, usually it wasn't too much of a bother, especially since Katie but now it was proving a major inconvenience.

"I have her address here, if you get the 55 bus and then the 32, you'll be a 6 minute walk from her place." Andrea read off her computer screen and Eliza and I exchanged shocked glances.

"You're forgetting I'm the one who got Katie the job she's missing right now." Andrea laughed and I shot a glance directly at her, eyes wide.

"And you did not know that. Never mind." I shrugged my shoulders and began searching for the nearest bus stop that offered the 55.

"Okay Andrea, I'll call you when I get to her house, text me if you hear anything, anything at all.

Andrea nodded and I hung up, standing up from my seat, organising the desk neatly, just as Katie would do after a lecture.

We walked to the bus stop and sat patiently until one arrived, buying our tickets before sitting as far back as we could.

We caught our change and got off where Andrea had told us to.

The walk felt long, my heels dragging against the concrete and my hair getting caught in the wind.

The street became familiar now and I could see the gates protecting Katie's home from the rest of the city.

I input the passcode that i'd seen Katie type in multiple times as the gates revolved in front of us.

Eliza gasped as the house came into view and I chuckled.

"You seriously should never have given this girl up. I think you need therapy again." She laughed and I rolled my eyes, hitting her playfully on the arm.

We reached the door and I hesitantly rang the doorbell and knocked the door, loudly.

No answer.

I rang her phone, as well as the doorbell again.

No answer.

My fear began to creep in again. Why wasn't she answering? What had happened?