Lectures from mothers and fiancees alike

Katie's PoV:

My heels clicked through the desolate corridor, my hand intertwined with the blonde beside me.

"Good morning Professor McGrath." The art lecturer smiled and I greeted him with a nod.

"Miss Davies." He spat at Charlotte and I felt her coil beside me.

"Professor Adams." She responded icily. I didn't want to press for a backstory as I knew Charlotte would tell me if she felt it necessary.

I heaved the wooden door into the theatre and strutted to my desk, smiling politely at the pair snuggled in the back row.

"Morning professor." A tanned boy with shaggy brunette hair greeted tiredly.

"Good morning." I smiled brightly as Charlotte perched on the nearest table to my desk.

Charlotte scrolled through her phone as we discussed some university and personal matters.

More and more people began to enter the theatre and Charlotte decided to retire to her usual position within the desk layout.

"Professor?" A usually timid blonde's voice emerged from the low hubbub.

"Yes Eleanor?" I glanced up from my laptop screen to make eye contact with the blonde.

"Is that an engagement ring on your finger?" She asked politely and innocently.

I let out a soft laugh and nodded.

"Yes it is, I'm glad you noticed it." I was slightly bewildered as to how nobody had commented on the whole situation. Perhaps they didn't know?

At precisely 8:05am, possibly the time she believed the lesson to commence at, the bubbly redhead paraded into the theatre.

"Congrats professor, welcome to the crazy family." She grinned before taking her seat next to the blonde.

Pushing the comment aside, I began teaching the lesson I had planned in a rushed manner yesterday evening after arriving home.

About halfway through the lecture, I noticed Charlotte become preoccupied with her phone.

Her face was overridden with panic and she made direct eye contact with me, her pupils dilated as a result of her fight or flight response.

I ordered the class to take notes from a powerpoint behind me as I allowed Charlotte time to communicate her predicament without drawing attention to herself.

She flipped her phone around to show me the screen. I squinted so I could read the caller displayed on the screen.

"Take it." I mouthed and she nodded, taking a deep breath before excusing her way out into the main aisle.

I gave her a reassuring nod as she left the room and continued with my lecture.

Approximately fifteen minutes later, the blonde shuffled into view again, her cheeks clearly tear stained.

Professionally, I ignored the blonde momentarily and proceeded to finish delivering the lecture.

I demanded that everybody leave the theatre immediately, a rarity for me as I knew some students preferred utilising the theatre after hours.

Once everybody had left, I opened my arms to the blonde and she fell into them.

"I'm here.... i'm here." I comforted as she collapsed, bringing us both to the floor.

I held the blonde as she shivered in exhaustion and pain, tears falling freely and constantly.

Approximately 20 minutes of pain release later, the blonde timidly tilted her face to look into my eyes.

"Would you like to talk to me about it? Or to Eliza? Otherwise, we can find some distractions to help you get through whatever happened out there."

I didn't want to coerce the blonde into revealing anything she didn't want me knowing but I didn't want her to suffer anymore than she had to.

"She... she hates me. She always did but now... she said she wants me dead. She wants her own daughter dead!" Tears escaped her azure eyes again as I wrapped my arms around her.

"She shouldn't have said that. It just shows how unfit she is as a parent and that you deserve so much better. No parent should ever think that of their child, regardless of how they've behaved."

I tried to find some inspiration but I was beyond angry at how somebody could perceive their own child in the way this woman has.

"She's just an idiot." I laughed softly at the blondes response, she was clearly exasperated from the constant mistreatment.

"You're so strong for even talking to her Char." I assured and she nodded.

"I shouldn't have to talk to her. She should be locked up. I should have my sister with me, not frequently worrying about her safety as I'm not allowed to see her." The girl began to vent about how poorly life had treated her.

"You shouldn't. Does she know about us then?" I tested the waters and she nodded, fixing her gaze to my eyes.

"Yeah... she's not happy. Don't know why though, guess she's jealous I found someone better than she ever could." I grinned like a toddler.

"You're still full of compliments at your lowest." I joked and she forced a pained smile.

"If you aren't willing to keep looking or light, even in the darkest of places. You will never succeed." She quoted and I smiled.

"Shepherd speech?" I questioned, raising my eyebrow and she nodded.

"Superior Shepherd speech." She confirmed and I giggled.

"Of course... Derek was toxic." I confirmed, trying to express the vague knowledge I had of the show that Charlotte so dearly loved.

"Can we go and watch Greys now?" She pleaded and I nodded with a smile.

"Of course, you can even choose the episode." I laughed, helping her to her feet.

I didn't have any other lectures today as I spent my afternoon on set and tried to give myself an hour in between for lunch.

We drove back to our house, my Taylor Swift track 5 playlist streaming through the tense vehicle.

Charlotte would sing intermittently, what I assumed to be her favourite lyrics until we pulled onto the driveway.

"When do you have to be on set?" The blonde asked vulnerably and I checked my phone as I turned the engine off.

"70 minutes." I calculated and she sighed.

"One episode and then can we order in some McDonalds before you leave?" She asked and I nodded with a smile.

"Sounds like a plan! You can come with me to set if you want, or just stay here and snuggle on the sofa or in bed for a while until you start your shift." I proffered and she shrugged in response.

"I'll see how I feel when the time comes." She decided as she pushed the door open and walked up to the front of the house.

I followed behind her as she unlocked the door and stumbled inside.

"You find the blankets and choose the episode. I'll order food." I instructed and she nodded in response, slipping her boots off and padding to the living room.