I'll be better than okay

Charlottes PoV:

Eliza immediately walked into the lecture theatre and began interrogating me.

I giggled as I tried to focus on the lecture Katie was doing but Elizas questions rang through my ears, distracting my brain.

"So did you hook up?" She asked and I shook my head.

"If you're so intrigued in my escapade last night then let me give you a basic run through." I turned to look at her as her face lit up with expectation.

"I got stabbed by a tree branch, hobbled my way to work. Katie came in and saw, told me to stay put until she finished work. Then we went to the hospital and I had stitches for my leg, she was too tired to drive me back so we went to McDonalds and I stayed with her for the night." I outlined briefly the events of the night prior and Eliza plainly rolled her eyes.

"I told you it wasn't interesting." I assured and she laughed slightly.

"Fine, Ill be quiet now." She sighs and turns to listen to Katie again who is looking directly at us.

We both giggled as Katie raised her perfectly arched eyebrow at the pair of us.

"I need quiet in order to teach efficiently." She scolded sternly and I blushed.

I tried to cover it as embarrassment but there was a clear line between lust and embarrassment.

I just looked down at the notebook in front of me and just started writing down anything I could think of, to make it look like I was paying attention.

I heard a low chuckle from the front of the room as it echoed off the walls of the spacious room and smiled habitually.

Katie finished lecturing and Eliza and I managed to stay on task for almost all of the remainder of it.

She dismissed everybody but kept Eliza and I behind, i didn't know if it was to yell at us for being a distraction or just for a chat.

"You two are the chattiest people i've ever encountered." She sat backwards onto her desk and laughed.

"That's us." Eliza retaliated and I placed my hand on hers to keep her calm.

Eliza didn't like confrontation, I think in reality it scared the heck out of her.

"The knowing look you gave me when you came in... that stops." Katie's attention turned to Eliza as she sank backwards in embarrassment.

"She will... she's just desperate to see me happy." I smiled and Katie turned her head to look at me, smiling again.

"I'm sorry about getting snappy." She apologised and I shook my head.

"Don't apologise, you're saving both of us here, if she keeps looking at us like that, you'll be fired." I laughed softly, hiding my anxiety the best I could.

"You're right, I'm sorry for sticking my nose in it." Eliza looked up at us both and I felt a pain in my chest.

"Nobody is apologising. Eliza, I'm happy, for the first time in what feels like ever. You can judge us all you want whenever we are alone but when other people are there, they're the people in the wrong because theyll be the ones to judge us." I explained my thoughts and was met with nods.

"She's spot on." Katie smiled and Eliza mumbled in agreement.

"Ok, I'm going to get my daily baguette, I'll be back in 8 minutes so you have that long to have your make out session." Eliza smirked and then left promptly so neither of us could remark.

Katie looked over at me and I smiled, practically melting away.

"How are you?" She asked and I nodded.

"I'm okay, for once.... i'm okay." I smiled and she opened her arms for a hug.

"You're the only reason i'm okay Katie." I said as I walked into her arms.

She held me close for a few minutes, I felt safe, I hadn't felt safe in a long time.

She whispered into my ear, "I'm never leaving you, so you'll be okay forever." I held her closer and whispered back.

"I'll be better than okay." I felt her arms tighten around me, comforting me but also asserting her dominance.

I pulled away from her and kissed her lightly on the lips and she kissed me back.

"Do you have another lecture now?" I asked as I pulled away and she nodded, with a frown across her face.

"I'm sorry." She rubbed my back consolingly and I smiled.

"Don't apologise, it's your job, i'm an extra." I took her hand and squeezed it lightly.

"You are never an extra, you're my priority but if you want to get your sister back, I'm going to have to keep my job here." She assured and I kept massaging her hands.

"That's really sweet." I blushed. This meant she thought we could be something serious and I really wanted us to be something serious.

"Anything for you." I blushed even more and she pulled me in for another hug.

The hug showed me that Katie really understood me. She knew I wanted comfort more than affection.

Most people wouldn't see a difference between the two abstract nouns but to me, I felt safe when comforted but pressured when shown affection.

It was an indescribable reaction but Katie showed me with this hug that she understood that.

We stood in this embrace again for a few minutes before we heard a bell ring. This signalled that I had to go and find Eliza and Katie had to lecture again.

"Hey Eli." I tapped the redhead on the shoulder and she turned round to face me.

"Hey you." She smiled and waved her baguette in my face, tapping me gently on the nose with it.

"Do you want to go for a walk or something?" I asked and she nodded, offering her hand.

I took her hand and we skipped through the doors, erupting into laughter as we exited.

"We act like we are in the wizard of bloody oz!" I laughed and we started waking, arm in arm around the campus, with no necessary destination in mind.