Agent Jolly {Moceit}

T.W: Contains mentions of depression, suicide, and accusatations of Santa being fake

Third Person

There would always be instances of people being depressed during the holiday season, but rarely was an entire town. This year, the town of Shiloh was a sad place to be at Christmastime. Only half the houses had lights, even less carolers, and there was a general lack of Christmas cheer. You would see little kids making snowmen or having snowball fights, but they seemed to be the only ones that were feeling particularly merry this year.

Getting over a kid's death wasn't exactly easy.

Everyone knew Jason Colt, he was the kid that everyone liked. He played baseball and ran track. He volunteered at the elderly home and the animal shelter. He talked to the school outcasts as if they were old friends. The guy was perfect, who wouldn't love him?

His perfection would end up screwing the town over when he was found dead in his parent's basement. The cops had determined it was suicide, which didn't really help anyonw. How had none of them noticed? How did all these people that claimed to care about him miss all the signs?

That's what Janus wondered. It shouldn't have been possible, he should have seen it coming. He was closer to Jase (his nickname for the boy) than anyone, and even he failed to notice, failed to help him. And now here he was, staring at who could have been Jason's little brother, if Janus hadn't known that he was an only child. Apparently, his name was Patton. He was part of some foreign exchange student program and transferred here after winter break had already started. Yeah, he wasn't buying it.

One night, Janus left his room around one in the morning. Conveniently enough, he could hear Patton talking, presumably on the phone with someone. Curious as any sophomore might be, Janus decided to listen in.

"-figured I could go around, maybe cheer up the people he was closest to? They all really cared about the poor kiddo... Anyway I should go before I fall asleep standing up!" The cheerful boy ended the call, but Janus didn't see a phone in his hand. Something was definitely up... "Oh, hi...?"

So Janus might not be as sneaky as he'd like, but it wouldn't matter, "Who were you talking to Patton?" If that is your real name. Of course he didn't say that part, he wasn't some nerdy detective in a crime drama, "Also, how were you talking to whoever that was? You clearly don't have a phone in your hand," He pointed out, glancing suspiciously as Patton quickly lowered his hand, which had been fidgeting with his jingle bell necklace.

He laughed nervously, "I um...talk to myself a lot??"

"Nice try," Janus said sarcastically, "It would have been better had you actually told the truth."

"I have split personalities-"

"If that was the case you would have most likely introduced your other personalities. And don't say that you were afraid of our reactions to it because you introduced yourself with your pronouns and sexuality."

The glasses-clad boy sighed, "Alright you caught me, which is kind of great because I'm not very good at keeping secrets anyway. Don't laugh," Janus raised one eyebrow, "But I may be a sort of secret agent for Santa."

If his mom wasn't asleep, Janus would not have been able to keep the promise he never actually made, "I know I shut down the split personality idea but there's clearly something wrong with you if you still believe in Santa."

Patton gasped, looking genuinely offended, "Of course I believe in him! I've seen him, hugged him, and I got to meet his reindeer!" He stated, as if that was actual proof.