He Protec {Prinxiety}

Virgil's POV

"For the last time Logan, I don't need a personal guard," I tell the royal advisor for the millionth time that week.

"I know you do not believe you need one, but for your own protection it's best that you have a guard that you can trust more than the general guards around the castle," He insists, continuing to make valid points.

"What was even the point of me learning how to use a sword if you all are just going to insist I have someone there to protect me?" I ask, frustrated at the idea.

"In the case that you are alone or your guard is injured, it only makes sense that you know how to handle a weapon," He says, exasperated at my stubborn attitude.

I sigh, "Half of the people you've recommended to be my guard would be nothing more than meat shields," As far as I was concerned, it was true. They were all creeps or were completely incapable of wielding a sword, "If they can't even beat me in a sword fight then they shouldn't be in charge of defending me, they'd just get hurt and I don't want that," I say, frustrated with him for not trying to see things my way.

"If you don't like the people I recommend to fill the role of your personal guard, then choose one yourself," He challenges.

"I somehow hate that idea even more. How 'bout this; if you recommend someone to be my guard that can beat me in a sword fight, I'll give them a chance," I suggest, hoping to end the conversation.

He thinks for a second, "I suppose that is a reasonable bargain," He shakes my hand, sealing the deal.

- - -

Logan recommended several guards over the past months, but none were able to defeat me in a sword fight. That or they thought I was crazy for wanting to fight them and suddenly didn't want the job anymore. Wimps.

One day, Logan once again calls me out to the throne room to meet my potential guard. I step into the room, hoping that Logan really does work better under pressure. Inside I see him standing next to a tall man with green eyes and auburn hair.

"Prince Virgil, I'd like you to meet Roman Garcia. His grandfather was a general during the war with Narrakah," Logan explains formally.

The guy looks confident, maybe too confident, "Well, let's see if his grandfather taught him anything," I suggest vaguely, walking off and gesturing for Roman to follow. I hear his quick footsteps approach as he catches up, but he stays silent otherwise. We stop in front of the open training room, "This is the training room, and if you are to be my guard, then you have to beat me in a sword fight."

"Wait, what?" He asks, clearly not expecting that. When he realizes that I'm not joking he speaks up again, "With real swords or...?"

"Real swords," I confirm.

Even though I run the risk of being hit, it usually helps discourage or even scare my opponent, making them easier to beat. I mean if you hurt a prince you'd be killed right? That's what everyone seems to think anyway, as long as I don't die I could care less. Whatever I can do to avoid being married, such as being injured, I will. I mean I've only got to stall for another year before I'm old enough to rule, then I can marry whoever I want.

"O-kay then..." He says, obviously worried, but at least he didn't look at me like I was crazy. He grabs one of the heavier swords off the wall, and I retrieve my own weapon from its scabbard.

We get into position across from each other, "Don't go easy on me," I threaten. His stance is good, but form isn't everything. If he can't fight smart or control the sword then he's screwed, but he does look a heck of a lot stronger than me.

"Don't overestimate yourself," He says cockily, lunging forward at an angle.

I block his sword with my own, having to put a lot more effort into keeping his weapon away than I'd like. He jabs at my side, making me squirm away and slice at his arm. I only manage to tear his shirt though, thank god. He may be my opponent, but that doesn't mean I want to hurt him. Yeah, that's why. Our swords continue to clash for several minutes, before I decide to use my 'special move' on him. I jab not at him, but at the hilt of his sword, intending to get it away from him and end the fight.

But, he apparently guesses my plan and stops me by putting a hand on the hilt of my sword, pulling it away from me, "Whoops," He remarks, shrugging teasingly.

"A deal's a deal, Roman," I hold out my hand, and he attempts to shake it with one sword in hand. I reclaim my sword, holding it up to his neck, "Also you shouldn't hand your opponent their sword before they've actually surrendered. If you'd like, Logan'll show you the ropes, where you'll be staying, all of that," I tell him, walking off.

I find the royal advisor in my room, "Well?" 

"Roman Garcia is my choice." 

A/N: I'll probably do a part two to this where they're together or something, if any of you want something in particular to happen, let me know

Updated A/N: This is now an actual book, with this oneshot idea being the prologue/base for it