32. Reasons

Xiao Gou, I am in love with you. So whatever happens from now on between us, don't forget this. Please. This is my response."

Xiao Zhan rereads this message that he has sent to Yibo over and over again, and only when he gets a slight nudge to his side does he realize that Ni Ni is still with him.

He turns to her, almost startled by her presence.

"What exactly did Wang Yibo apologize for?" she asks, expectant and Xiao Zhan can't help but feel slightly apologetic at how he so easily tuned her out. So he lowers the hand that has his phone and sends her a gentle smile.

"Nothing in particular," he replies. "But at the same time everything? It felt like he was somewhat aware that I felt this way but didn't want to bring it up before I did."

"Smart kid," Ni Ni nods. "Anyway, I'm sure you'll both find a way to figure this out. The most important thing is that Yibo feels the same way about you as you do about him. As long as this is the case, then you'll both give it your best shot."

Her phone begins to ring again so with a groan she looks at the screen. "They'll be ready for you in five minutes," she says as she places the phone against her ear and walks away.

Xiao Zhan returns his gaze to his phone and realizes that Yibo had sent him a prior message that he had ignored. He reads it now.

"A shrimp costume for your cat? I think that has to be custom made? I'll get it done."

At this, Xiao Zhan cannot help but smile at just how endearing Yibo is. How true and how bare, and it is quite the contrast from the Yibo he has just been complaining about.

His conclusion to this is that a year earlier was a different time for the both of them. They were both in different places mentally and perhaps even different people.

And if this year has taught him anything, it is about the people and things that are the most important.

He thinks back to his conversation with Yibo on the phone just a few hours earlier.

Without any further contemplation, he exists their chat room and searches for a flight to Beijing. Ni Ni is usually the one in charge of his flights but this time around he begins to book and confirm all that he needs to on his own.

His heart is thumping in his chest as he goes through the process and by the time it is complete, he feels as though his entire world is tilting. He considers informing Ni Ni about this, or even Yibo, but he cannot bring himself to. At least not yet.

He returns to their WeChat, his teeth nibbling on his nails as his entire body brims with anxiety.

Yibo has read his text.

Or at least this is what the app tells him since the option to recall the message is no longer available.

He considers calling him... something this important shouldn't have been said through text but in the moment he had been unable to hold back. He can rectify it now... hear from Yibo so that some semblance of peace can be returned to him. So he pulls up Yibo's contact and begins to dial him, however there is the sudden call of his name.

"Xiao Zhan!" the director's voice booms through the dim bar and he is forced to look up.

He ends the call before it can go through and rises to his feet.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A few hours later, he is heading back to his van with Ni Ni when she suddenly stops in her tracks.