24. Crackle

Xiao Zhan places Yibo's bottle on the counter, and then unscrews the cap of his for a drink.

"You are so handsome Yibo," his mom compliments in wonder, her hands petting and kneading Yibo like he's dough. "Just like on tv."

To this, Yibo doesn't say a word and instead bows even lower. This especially amuses Xiao Zhan because he is sure that Yibo's bows are getting lower because he's trying to hide the flush on his face.

"Laopo, let the boy breathe," his father says with a smile. "You're welcome to our home Yibo."

"Thank you Dabo," he greets. Yibo turns then to glance at Xiao Zhan, and the silent plea to be rescued from all this attention is gleaming in his eyes but Xiao Zhan refuses to step in, more than content in his current role as an engaged audience.

"What are you doing in Chongqing?" his mother asks. "Did you and Zhan Zhan plan to meet here?"

"We did," he responds. "I had a project in Banan, so I told him that I wanted to stop by to apologize to you for declining your invitation to his birthday dinner."

"Oh there's no need for that," his mother dismisses the apology with a wave of her hand. "You must have been so busy."

"No," he responds. "Xiao Zhan and I had a little disagreement then, so we weren't speaking to each other. I didn't think that it would be appropriate to intrude on his party until we had reconciled."

At his words, the room goes quiet.

"You're so honest," his father says with a smile, and taps Yibo on the shoulder. Yibo bows again.

"Make yourself at home Yibo," he says, and returns to his couch.

"Thank you Dabo."

Shaking his head, Xiao Zhan looks away, and lifts the bottle to his lips again.

"You and Zhan Zhan had a fight?" His mother's voice is soft as she holds Yibo's hands in both of hers, as though he is her treasured, long lost child. "How did he offend you?"

At this, Xiao Zhan nearly chokes on his water. "Ma! Why would you assume that I'm the one that offended him?"

"Shut it," she snipes, without even bothering to look at him and at this Xiao Zhan's mouth falls open.

"Yibo," she coos, patting his hand in consolation. "Whatever he did, I apologize on his behalf."

"Thank you Ayi," Yibo responds shamelessly, and Xiao Zhan is even more flabbergasted. He raises his hand as if to throw the water bottle at him, but Yibo immediately curves his body so that it is completely shielding his mother.

"Ya! Get away from her," Xiao Zhan says, "before she forgets that she gave birth to me and not you."

"I have long forgotten!" his mother shoots back. "Because the son I birthed would not have forgotten to tell me that his friend will visit today."

"I did tell you!" Xiao Zhan argues.

"You didn't tell me it was Wang Yibo. We didn't even make anything for him to eat."

"Don't worry," Xiao Zhan says and pulls the refrigerator open again. "We'll make something to eat together. He can't cook to save his life so hopefully when he leaves today, he'll at least know how to make fried rice."

"Get out of there," his mother says and finally lets go of Yibo to hurry into the kitchen. "Yibo, I'll make you something delicious to eat really fast so just wait for a short while, okay?"