16. Blocked

Xiao Zhan stares at the phone for a long time.

It is for so long, that soon the staff notice and also begin to stare at the phone. And then back at him. Wondering what in the world is happening.

Yibo's name is saved on his phone as Xiao Gou(little puppy) rather than his actual name, so he is not cautious about keeping the phone to himself and out of prying eyes.

Eventually, he looks away from the screen much to everyone's bafflement, and doesn't say a word. He begins to quietly open and inspect the snacks that have been laid before him, and no one else thinks that it is wise to say anything either.

Except Nini. "We're going to begin," she announces, and Xiao Zhan finally sits upright.

It seems like he is avoiding everyone's eyes but the truth is that he can barely see the people in the room now. The moment that text message came in, he lost his concentration. Instead, what he feels right now is chagrin. He does everything he can however to stop it from overwhelming him, and focuses on the task at hand.

"Laoban," Zhou Shen calls. "How do you want to start?"

He can't think of anything but he does raise his head to gaze at the small bodied, and brightly spirited manager.

"I don't know," he says and Zhou Shen nods.

"Just start eating then. I'll add the introduction post edit."

The recording begins, and he starts with the pastry that he is most familiar with- the egg yolk mooncake. Afterwards he moves to another that looks like glutinous rice cakes.

"These are Nuomi baba right?" he asks Zhou Shen.

"Ludagun," Zhou Shen replies.

Xiao Zhan brings it to his mouth for a bite and chews slowly on it. "It's similar to Nuomi Baba. That's what we call it in the south. They just added red bean paste to these."

"You're right," Zhou Shen replies in the background. "Do you like it?"

He nods absentmindedly and moves on to the next pastry. "What's this?" he asks, pointing to a small bowl of what contains a soy milk looking drink.

"Douzhir," Zhou Shen responds and Xiao Zhan lets out a little gasp. "The legendary Douzhir?"

"Yeah," the staff laughs in the background.

"I heard that the taste is quite peculiar, so those that really like it really do, and those who don't absolutely do not. There is no in between."

"You're right," Nini responds in the background. "I can't stand it but my dad drinks it all the time."

So Xiao Zhan takes his first sip with a soup spoon, and it takes a few seconds for the taste to really hit him. When it does, his entire face twists in abject distaste.

"Why does it taste like this?" he exclaims and the room cracks up in laughter.

"Try it again," Zhou Shen says. "You might like it on your second try."

He however immediately puts the bowl down. "I refuse. I don't want to experience it again, but I respect it."

More laughter ensues and he moves on to the next. It's more cakes and doughy pastries, and he can barely taste any of them.

"Laoban," Zhou Shen calls. "Maybe smile a little, or just look happy. You look really distant right now."

That's because I fucking am, he can't help but groan inwardly.

He wants to stop this momentarily, because he wants to walk out of this room and be able to properly process Yibo contacting him. His entire body begins to simmer with impatience, so he goes through all of the snacks quite quickly.